Exposure With No Danger of Akumatisation

MARINETTE

I lay awake all night, thinking about my conversation with Dash, and what I'm supposed to do.. One thing is clear- I want to expose her lies to the world, but I don't want to risk an Akuma. How am I supposed to do both ? 

Then I think about what Dash said about friendship. Would it really work, if I tried ? I remember how Chloe was when her best friend, Sabrina got Akumatized. Maybe friendship does change people.

And suddenly, it's clear to me, what I need to do. What I need to say.

And with that I slip into a sound, dreamless, slumber.

RAINBOW DASH

Tying my shoelaces, I grab my bag and head out of the room, off to school. 

On any other Sunday, I would've slept in. But today, is the great match with Kim. I do not want to lose, and I'm out of practice as I played very little in the past month.

On the way, I pass the park, where I see Marinette sitting on a bench, sketching. She looks up at me and smiles. I return the smile, nodding, and walk up to her. 

"On the way to the stadium ?" She asks.

"Yeah. I want to get some practice before this afternoon."

"I see..." Marinette says. "Unfotunately, I can't practice for what I'm going to do."

"So.. you've decided then ?"

"Yes." A long silence followed, with me thinking of something, anything assuring to say to Marinette.

"I do hope everything works out for you." I finally say, then turn on my heel and continue my long walk to the park.

MARINETTE

"Okay, here's the big moment. Who's the closest friend of Ladybug ? Lila Rossi, or Marinette Dupain-Cheng ?" Alya says, aiming her camera at me and Lila, kneeling on leg in front of our bench. "So, what do you girls have to say for yourself ?"

"I'm obviously the one." Lila says, gesturing to herself. "Me and Ladybug, we'"

"Oh, nonsense !" shouts someone from somewhere to my left. Someone who I know pretty well.

Alya turns in the direction of the voice, and so do I and Lila. Standing a few feet away from us is Chloe, and, looking like he doesn't know why he's here, is Adrien.

Adrien. As if things couldn't get any more worse.

"You're interviewing the wrong people." Chloe says in her usual snobbish manner. "I'm obviously the one who Ladybug adores the most."

"Oh really ?" Alya says, raising an eyebrow, and I can tell that she's thinking of me. "What do you have to say about this, Adrien ?" 

"I.. uh..." Adrien says, "I'd say Chat Noir, but I don't- I mean, he wouldn't really appreciate the 'best friend' title."

"Interesting." Alya says. "So what do you-"

"Can we get back to the matter at hand ?" Lila interrupts, making Alya turn to us, again.

"As I was saying, Ladybug and I-"

"Do you even have her phone number, Lila ?" I ask, interrupting her before she can say any of her stupid lies. Lila's eyes widen, and she stutters trying to answer. She clearly wasn't expecting this. 

"Oh, please." Chloe answers, now from beside Alya. "Ladybug never gives her phone number to anyone. Not even me." Adrien looks away, mumbling something.

"Chloe is right. Ladybug never gives her number to anyone." Lila says, crossing her arms. 

"But she did. To me." I say, reaching into my purse. I can literally sense everyone's eyes on me.

"Oops." I say, mentally chuckling to myself. "Looks like I forgot it at home. My bad. I'll be right back !"

I run all the way home from the park and don't stop till I reach my room. I open my purse once again, and Tikki flies out.

"Let's hope this works." She says. I nod and transform into Ladybug, then swing by the park.

'Priceless' isn't even the right word for Lila's expression. It is THAT good. Not to mention the faces of Chloe and Adrien. And Alya's, too, even if it is fake.

I do my signature Ladybug smirk, mostly to ease the tension. Adrien eyes are cast downward, focused somewhere right of his feet. Lila still looks more afraid than anything else, fearing her now inevitable exposure.

"Soo.. it's true ?" Chloe says slowly. "Marinette really does have your number ?"

"It was supposed to be for emergencies, at first." I explain, "But we got to know each other slowly through texts."

"Wait. Emergencies ?" Adrien asked.

"Yeah, since she's been targeted by akumas a lot." I say.

"Hold on." Chloe says, almost stomping her foot. "I've been targeted by Akumas, too. You've never given me your number for emergencies."

I stare at Chloe for a second.

"Yeah, I suppose I better get around to it." I say. Then I write down the number to my second SIM, which I barely use, on her arm.

"Don't share it with anyone." I say, adding a secretive smile.

"Okay, so Ladybug.." Alya says, taking a step forward. "We just want to know, who is your closest friend ?"

"Oh, that's simple." I say. "It's Chat Noir."

Alya gasps, looking genuinely shocked. Chloe just stares at her nails, a corner of her lips turning up. Lila looks confused and a little lost. Adrien mumbles something that sounds like 'Excuse me for a moment' and walks away, taking a seat on a bench a little far away from us.

"Well.. that was unexpected." Alya says finally. "But can you tell us about your relationships with Marinette and Lila ?"

"Oh, Marinette and I aren't that close. I met her in person only once, when I gave her my number. But we do know a lot about each other, we text a lot. And as for you, Lila Rossi," I say, turning to her. Lila's eyes widen as I walk to her. "I'd like to know you more. We can be friends, have a fresh start, forget whatever happened in the past." I pull her into an awkward one-armed hug, and Lila makes this weird squeaky sound in her throat.

"Yeah.. sure..." She mumbles when I pull away. Then, without another word, I swing away, giving Alya, Lila, Chloe and Adrien, who has just returned, a two-finger salute.

I return as soon as I grab some cookies for Tikki after my de-transformation.

"Sorry, I'm late ! Where's Ladybug ?" Wow, me. What amazing acting skills I have.

"You're here after the show was completed, sweetie." Chloe says, smirking. "Also, you're not the only one having Ladybug's number now. Toodles !" She waves her hand, Lady- my number clearly visible, and sashays away.

"Where's Lila ?" I ask, looking around and noticing that she was nowhere to be seen.

"She left." Alya shrugs. "I better go, too. I have a video to edit."

She turns to leave, and I'm about to  wave goodbye when I realize that means I'll be alone with Adrien. Without thinking about it, I yell, "Alya, wait !"

Alya turns to me with a truimphant 'You can thank me later' look on her face. Then she runs away.

I'm contemplating what to do, when Adrien himself comes up to me.

"Umm.. Marinette ?" He asks.

"Uh, yeah ?" I turn to face him.

"I was wondering.. can I have Ladybug's number ?"

I blink. I don't know what to do.

"I asked Chloe, but she's following Ladybug's instructions seriously. I was hoping you'd give in." He says, smiling sheepishly. "Unless you're following them, too ?"

"Oh, no." I say, a small smile forming on my face. "I'm a rule-breaker."