"I told him in my email that EJ had just arrived," Jamie explained. "Hope he'll bring him a couple things."

"Yay!"

Jamie put his finger to his lips. "Why don't you go wake grandpa and tell him it's time for breakfast?"

She giggled. "Okay."

And that was all it took, she hopped down and ran off out of the room. I laughed as Jamie reached for EJ.

"I can take him," he said. "Why don't you lay down in a real bed?"

I shook my head. "He's too fussy. He was up every hour. No use trying to rest."

"Fine, how about we come lay with you then?"

I smiled, knowing he wasn't going to accept any other answer except yes. "Deal."

He gently took EJ from my arms before I pushed off the rocker to stand. I was still sore and a little off balance, but Jamie steadied me. I followed him to our room just as Dulcie and Jim were coming out of the spare.

"Morning, little one," Jim said in passing. "And good morning to his tired parents."

I chuckled. "We're going to nap for a few minutes."

"No problem. We'll take care of wild child here."

Dulcie jumped up his waist with a chuckle and Jim motioned her along.

"Thanks Dad," Jamie said.

"That's why we're here, son."

We walked in and Jamie shut the door behind us. I practically collapsed onto our mattress as it's softness felt amazing under the tight spots on my body. I pulled the covers up and rolled to my side while he softly placed EJ beside me. He crawled in on the other side as our son stretched out between us, but remained asleep. I looked at my husband who was beaming.

"I love you both," I whispered.

A wave of emotion passed over him, and his eyes were suddenly clouded. "I love you more, baby. And this perfect little angel."

I reached across our son to pull him toward me and he met my lips with a smile. We took care to avoid waking the baby as we shared a lingering kiss. I wiped at his tear that fell. He turned my hand to peck my new ring.

"Sleep, beautiful," he said.

I nodded. "Don't cry."

He smirked. "No promises."

I closed my eyes to the sight of him trailing his finger over our son's tiny hand, admiring how flawless he was when he was dreaming. It brought me comfort as I sought a few minutes of peace.

***

By a miracle I managed to squeeze in some thirty-minute increment naps before our family came over for Christmas baking and movie night. I would have to put on my best face to prepare for everyone in our house at the same time. The only godsend would be having more arms to hold EJ so mine could take a breather between breastfeeding.

He kicked his feet as I changed him into a first Christmas onesie with matching pants and hat. I had a Santa outfit set aside for him to wear tomorrow at the family dinner. "Hold still, buddy."

He stuck out his bottom lip and began whimpering. My heart clenched. "No baby, don't cry. You look so cute in this!"

Jamie walked in about that time. "Need help?"

I shook my head. "He doesn't like his outfit."

He lay down across the mattress, kissing his son's head as he cupped his little cheek. "What's wrong, dude? I think you look handsome."