CHAPTER ONE

S.H.I.E.L.D. STORIES

SET IN THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE

CHAPTER ONE

Nick Fury had an idea. Though he was only nineteen he had an idea that could change the world. Forever. The idea was to make a government-funded organization that promoted peace. It could fight off evil and anything that could harm America, or the Earth. It could enlist special people with certain abilities to work for them. Now just one thing was remaining: the science to back it up. One thing was remaining: Howard Stark.

-•- 

Howard Stark was one of the people most responsible for creating Captain America in WWII. He was something of a genius millionaire playboy philanthropist back then. Now he was a very old man with an incredible intellect, his wife, Amy, and a six-month old son, Anthony. Fury walked into his office suddenly, and frightened the old man. He was working hard and hadn't noticed Nick walking down the hall. Fury looked down at what Stark was working on. It was a detailed blue print labeled: HELLICARRIER.

"Why, hello!" Howard greeted him, "Can I help you?"

"Are you into world-wide peace?" Fury asked.

"Well, sure." Stark wondered, "I guess everybody is."

"Sir." Fury looked into his eyes, "Are you INTO world-wide peace?"

-•-

"Well that I'd a very good plan. Just one thing. The 'government-funded' bit will be a chore." Stark commented after Fury explained his idea. "So you plan to make a shield for the earth, huh? Well to be a shield, you have to be a sword. I have something that might help. Come this way."

Nick Fury followed Stark down a long, dusty hall. Howard stopped at about the first of a dozen covered display cases. He uncovered the first, opened it and took out a very high-tech recurve bow.

"This is a Bluntium Mega-Void Super-Charged recurve. My creation. Here, hold it." He said as he handed the bow to Fury. "Light as a feather. But any good archer knows that a good bow won't mean a thing without good arrows," He said as he moved to the next display case. He uncovered and opened it, pulling out a quiver of amazing arrows.

"An arrow for every occasion."

-•-

"Is it ready, Mr. Stark?" Nick Fury, the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. asked Howard Stark, billionaire inventor scientist.

"It's ready. This reminds me of the time I helped make the super-soldier known as-" Howard started.

"Captain America." Nick Fury interrupted, with something of an awkward laugh. "We know."

"I want to do one more grand thing before I die." Proclaimed Stark. "Which I think will be soon." Howard Stark was old. About 92 years old.

"You've already done that, Mr. Stark." Nick Fury answered. "When we created S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Ah, yes." Howard remembered back. "You know who would make the best agent ever?"

"Captain America?" He guessed knowingly.

"Captain America." Howard beamed. "If only he hadn't crashed in the ice."

"You didn't hear?" Asked Nick Fury, genuinely shocked. "He was just in suspended animation. He's alive."

__________________________________________________________________

Howard Stark woke up in the hospital. He didn't know how long he had been there. All he could see were two familiar faces, blurred. He registered one as Nick Fury, but the other he couldn't tell.

"You okay, Stark?" The other one asked. That's when Howard saw it.

STEVE ROGERS. CAPTAIN AMERICA.

"You fainted when I told you the news, Stark." Nick Fury explained. "Hit your head, bad."

"It was my time, anyway." Stark said, not worried.

"Wait, you don't mean-" Steve started. And with that, Howard Stark died.