"Am i making you uncomfortable?" He says as I look up to see his entertained smirk and glare at him.

"No."

"I am!"

"Nope."

"Aw little Hayley's blushing!"

"I don't blush."

Ok so maybe that was a lie...

"You definitely are but y'know if what you say is true then you won't mind undoing my shirt for me, will you?" Zeke watches me with teasing eyes as I scowl.

"Why would that possibly bother me?" I raise an eyebrow. "But no, I'm not going to be your personal slave."

"Pity." He shrugs before pulling off his shirt and wrapping it around me.

The sleeves outgrow my fingertips and it would probably hang  just below my hips if I stood up but in this moment the material is thick enough to keep me warm so I don't mind.

"Better?" He asks but doesn't give me time to reply as he grips the collar of the shirt and uses it to pull me towards him, his lips against mine in seconds.

He kisses me softly and it feels like a dream. Like he's not really here. Like he was never here. But then, with just the right amount of pressure, I feel him against me again and I'm reminded of the melodic hallucination known as Zeke Westley.

When he finally pulls back my lips are tingling but somehow I manage to reply hoarsely, "Better."

He smiles timidly. "Sorry our dates always go wrong."

I roll my eyes. "They don't always go wrong."

"What about when I got caught by that really angry chef."

"That was one time!" I laugh.

"Or when I lost your ring..."

I glance down to my hand and the beautifully carved initial promise ring gripping my finger. "We found it in the end!"

"How about when we went to get milkshakes and I accidentally tipped mine over your head? There are no excuses for that."

"Zeke you licked my cheek and said that I tasted of strawberries. Who could be cuter than that?" I laugh.

"You poured your milkshake down me too! As payback, you said. So I don't think that was one of my finest moments." He seems ashamed and looks down at his hands.

Aw.

"Well at least your cockiness is leaving you and your modesty has come out of hospital." I grin. "Now are we going to sit here freezing or row somewhere or what?"

Zeke throws me a cheeky grin. "Well I thought we could--"

"HEY!" A shout adds tension to the air. "GIVE ME BACK MY BOAT!"

I squint to see an old man standing at the end of the jetty jumping up and down angrily as he cusses the disrespectful teenagers chilling in his darling rowing boat (I noticed earlier that it's called Betty-Lou).

"Wait a minute," I start to process the situation, "You stole this?"

"Well technically I borrowed it..." Zeke smirks until I give him a look. "Oh c'mon badass I've trained you better than this."