Chapter 46 - The Official Girlfriend

"Guess what? I'm offered a job in L.A to be a full-time make-up artist in Hollywood! Can you believe it?" Camila exclaimed with such excitement that streaks of tears ran down her cheeks.

"Congrats, Camil!" Ariel tightened her arms around her friend, "You finally have your dream come true."

"I know, I know," she wiped her tears off with her fingers. "After so long, so many years, I've arrived. William referred me to the creative director whose special effects company works for this film, and they love my work and asked me to start next month with them to do more films. I can't wait!"

"I'm so happy for you. We need to celebrate with the girls when we get back. We're going to miss you though."

"Me too," Camila held Ariel's hands, "I'll come visit you guys whenever I can, and you guys should visit me in L.A whenever you can."

----------

Now that Camila left for Los Angeles, Ariel felt their group was getting smaller.

Beth hung out with the group a lot less ever since she announced her recent engagement with Theo and Rita was busy with her overtime work at the florist shop due to a shortage in staff.

Leon as usual, remained indifferent and aloof towards Ariel after the movie shoot. He was so busy with his upcoming album and managing Stellar Azure that he came home extremely late in the night.

Evan was her only next available friend. He was previously tasked with guarding the house but was switched with another bodyguard to take his place while he accompanied Leon wherever he went. It seemed that he was also being taken away from her though he still managed a conversation whenever they could.

What she missed most were the heartfelt social interactions she enjoyed with Leon, oddly enough, even though he could be an unpredictable pain at times. She smiled to herself whenever she remembered how he saved her from Martin like a knight in shining armour, but her smile would change to contorted lips when she recalled how he got cross with her later. Leon was, after all, the first man in so many years that she felt close to. Despite her reservations about him, the on-and-off fluttery feelings that she tried to fight off kept resurfacing.

Tossing her side on the bed towards the window, Ariel stared at the bright crescent moon against the diamond-studded sky, recalling the conversation she had with Evan on the last day at the movie studio:

Ariel: "I can't stand watching that!"

Evan: "So, you do like Leon?"

Ariel: "O-o-of course not!"

Evan: "You're denying it."

Ariel: [Sniffles and bursts into tears]

Evan: "I knew it."

Ariel: ...

Evan: "They're acting. Don't take it seriously."

Ariel: "Would you accept that if it's your woman?"

Evan: ...

Ariel: "I've seen him fool around with so many women! Yet, my stubborn heart refuses to stop these stupid fluttery feelings for him. In the end, I'll be the one who'll get hurt. Anyway, it's an unrealistic fantasy. I can't break my contract. I just need to keep my focus on my million dollars and be off and done with!"

Evan: "Leon may do so many stupid things, but as a man, I can tell his eyes are set on you even when he doesn't say so."

Ariel: "Like the way Martin sees me? Have you forgotten what he tried to do to me when he was drunk?