Chapter 17 - Getting used to..Not getting used to

The radio interview was a success and Ariel was proud that she did not stammer one bit since the radio host made her feel at ease and even joked with her. The Fujitas were even pleased with the outcome.

Three months had now passed since the first day Ariel worked for Leon Waltz. Getting used to the paparazzi's constant presence remained a struggle. She learned from the veteran himself not to read the tabloids about her, even though she grimaced in fury whenever Camila messaged her - unnecessarily - to reveal the media gossip and even hate comments from jealous netizens that were lashed at her, just because she was working for the stunning international pop star.

The sellers at the fish and vegetable markets by the seaside recognised her immediately and it did not take too long before she became very acquainted with them, for they knew who she was and found her to be friendly, sweet and endearing, never forgetting to greet them by name. They would present to her the freshest and most impressive picks, sometimes with discounts, in order to please the superstar who would be fed. Despite being accompanied by a bodyguard, some passers-by would take snapshots of her and even asked for her autograph or we-fies, which she often politely declined but did give in once in a while when a fan begged and insisted. Ariel still never really considered herself a celebrity, much less a worthy one that deserved massive attention like Leon Waltz. Fame could be quite scary and draining than exciting and she wondered how Leon ever managed it with millions eyeing on him and scrutinizing his every move. At least, the attention fell more upon him than on her, which was her only relief.

By now, Ariel had grown accustomed to the demands that Leon threw at her and could remember his favourite meal, and the don'ts and dos at the back of her head without referring to Vinny's notebook. Should he make last-minute demands or changes, she was a lot more prepared now with contingency plans than the first time around.

Leon's foul outbursts were something she still hated. Bloody Mary's stern iciness was more endurable than his roars. Far from the image of a smiling, approachable and sexy star that the world knew, Leon was rather moody and aloof, and very high maintenance with high expectations. If his fans knew the real person that he was, Ariel was sure he would lose half the popularity.

Leon worked out in his gym for five days a week, sometimes with a personal trainer. Every week, he had his facials done at one of the top dermatology centres in the country. His clothes, hair, nails and skin were perfect for the cameras and the public at all times, all thanks to his personal stylist and groomer, Ryan Wayne who was a self-employed stylist who worked for many celebrities and Leon Waltz was his biggest customer. Ryan had amber eyes and dark copper brown hair with a strip of stray fringe that was coloured in purple. He had a neatly tied man bun and a short-boxed beard.

Stellar Azure, Leon's skincare line was so expensive that it would cost Ariel half a month's worth of her salary for a small set that would last a month, but it looked like it did work wonders on his youthful skin.

Although not fond of the entertainment world, Ariel grew familiar with a few big names and some hit songs by overhearing conversations of Leon's team's discussions, and Vinny's gossips and complaints of certain celebrities that Leon hung out with, including Martin Carter, another celebrity pop singer from New York who was known for his Spanish-like good looks of dark hair, light stubble, tanned skin and greyish-green eyes. He used to be in a boy band before going solo and making it big on his own, even though his popularity could not rival Leon Waltz's.

Vinny even made Ariel feel like a complete idiot for not knowing the names of some of Leon's hit singles and her lack of knowledge in understanding how far his fame had reached, which Leon found her ignorance refreshing and amusing at the same time.

The celebrity world was messy and even more unappealing now that she got to witness the industry and taste a bit of fame first-hand - so much fake and back-biting veiled behind a curtain of glitzy glamour. She rolled her eyes at the thought of Camila's hungry attempts to break into such an industry and felt glad that she was not directly involved with Leon's music career or his other businesses.