Chapter Four

"Hi."

This simple word has been tormenting my mind ever since. Anytime I hear it, my head jerks up and my whole system is on edge. It's been two weeks since I made the mistake and trust me, am not going to get over it anytime soon.

Good news is that Chris has lessened his visits much to my pleasure. He seems too preoccupied with his ladies nowadays. Right now he's two desks in front of me with one of them.

Wait!

Is that Jessica?

Why do I feel like he used me to make his first move on her?.
I got to know from whispers and talks that she is a transfer student from the department of botany, same faculty as ours. She's quite a nice one and her laughter is soothing in a weird way. I just like hearing her laugh. Weird right?

I looked up again and met her eyes. She was actually looking over here. She looked so innocent unlike the type of girls that hang out with Chris, then again, its not my problem. I still can't help but wonder if Chris thinks that he'll make me jealous or was he not bold enough to say the 'Hi' in the first place.

Who cares!.

I have lots of notes to read up and an assignment to write. The class is noisy and all I seem to be hearing amidst the noise is 'Hi'. When will it end.

"Hi". I heard a female voice say, dangerously close to me.

I was scared to even look up this time so I just continued reading my notes and taking jots.

"Hi". The voice came again, this time it seemed the owner was smiling. What!

To say that I wet my pants would be an exaggerated overstatement but I was so close to doing that, believe me.
I looked up, in freight of course, only to see the most beautiful thing ever. Honestly, I can't believe am even having such thoughts. She is smiling, at me. Is that a smile?

"Hi" I replied as calm as I could but my voice betrayed me, now of all times, damn you.

I then really looked at her. She was tall and had a long natural hair. Wait a minute, I that her hair? Natural hair? She was slim and wore a flowery gown that stopped few inches above her knee. She has a very nice dimple, and her eyes were so bright, no that has to be a contact lens. She keeps smiling at me and I notice her hands were stretched towards me. She... Wait! Her hands are stretched?

"Am Jessica" She said bringing me back to the lecture hall.

No reply. What should I say?

"Uhm," she started, lowering her hands. "Actually am new here. I changed from the department of Botany to Microbiology"

No reply. She seems to be doing fine talking alone.

"Okay, am the..." She was about to say something when someone called her. I know that voice. Trouble.

"Jessy, there you are" Chris called. "Am about leaving, let's go" he stated.

"Okay" she replied then turned to me. "Bye, Jerry".

Chris was boring holes into my forehead. I think he's cannibalistic if you ask me but I can't help but know that am in serious trouble. At least they're going now so I better hurry and leave school.

As for Jessica, she'd better stay away from me. I can sense she's trouble. But, she knows my name? Then again everyone does. So no biggie.

Jessica's POV.

"Hi".

Ever since one of my new course mates said that to me, the word never left my head. He seemed to force it out though but somehow it made me feel happy. His voice were simple and did magic to my ears, I just wanted to hear him again.

I had asked Clara, a friend of mine that was with me when he approached me, what she knew about him. What I heard were awful, so I tried to forget him then. But ever since, I noticed he stayed at the back of the class and was always reading or playing music with his phone.

Meanwhile, few days after the incident a guy, Chris, came up to me and started making advances on me. What really caught my attention was when he mentioned that he had heard about the 'Hi incident' and that he was sorry that it was the first impression I may have gotten about the guys here.

Chris was quite friendly and I just rolled with it because it gave me an excuse to see Jerry more often since Chris sat almost at the back of the class as well.

Today, I am hanging out with Chris as I've been doing for almost two weeks now and I notice something is not right with Jerry.

He seems to be in torment. His head jerks up once in a while and he looks pitiable. I caught him looking around and looked away when he looked in my direction. I laughed.

When I looked up again, I met his eyes. He seemed to be thinking and something told me it was about me. I felt butterflies in my stomach, so cliche. Something about that guy makes me feel happy, comfortable and wanted.

Don't get me wrong, am not a stalker, neither am I the shy type. You think am lying? Okay, wait I'll prove it to you.

Chris stood up almost immediately. He said something about going to greet a friend of his before going. I looked at Jerry when Chris had left. Then I got up and headed towards his desk.

"Hi" I said. He seemed to get serious with the pen in his hands. And it made me smile.

"Hi" I called again not even trying to stop smiling.

He looked up.

He was definitely in torment.

"Hi" he replied with traces of freight in his voice. Am beginning to think that that's the only English word he knew. And he's staring at me, ogling me. Wait, what?

I have to stop this.

"Am Jessica." I told him as I stretched my hands for a handshake. Really?

No reply. He just kept on gazing at my hands and then to my face. I honestly found it funny.

"Uhm," I started, lowering my heavy hands. "Actually am new here. I changed from the department of Botany to Microbiology". Hopefully that'll make him talk.

No reply. Okay now am getting pissed off.
Wait, maybe he doesn't remember me.

"Okay, am the..." I was caught off by Chris calling my name. I turned and waved at him.

"Jessy, there you are, am about leaving let's go" Chris told me as he kept on looking at Jerry in quite a weird way. I have to learn how to do that, its freaking me out as it is.

"Okay" I told him, then I turned to Jerry and bade him good bye before walking out with Chris.

Jeremiah, so far, is weird. Even now he's looking at me like I just did the impossible. Like I committed a crime.

Weird, I tell you, he's weird.

*********★********★**********★***********

First Talk! Finally.

Question: How do you think Jerry will react? Most of all, is Jessica playing him?

Don't asks me, just read on. Am interested to find out the answer as well.

Don't forget to:

Comment...

Vote...

Share...

Thanks.

Love y'all.