Chapter Three

Am alone in my room, thinking.

'What did I get myself into?'

After six years in the dormitory of my secondary school, I had told myself that friends were altogether not for me. I remember how I met Chris and I remember how I lost him and most of all I remember why I have to do his biddings at all times...

********************
Two years earlier:

I had just gotten into the university and booming with excitement as usual. I was really enthusiastic as my mother said and my zeal to put all my best into my studies was really evident.

"Jay, wait for me"

We had just finished our second lecture and had to move to the venue for the next lecture. I was trekking, when I heard Chris call out.

"Walk fast biko, please" I shouted back at him.

Christian was the only friend I had and he seemed either too nice to me or he was oblivious of my social standing. Though the year was still fresh, everybody already isolated themselves from me, yeah I was that bad.

I don't stay in a gathering of more than three persons, I never replied greetings, I was always with my books and I never bothered about what I wore. I guess that explains it all.

Chris, I had noticed, was however slipping away. We met less often, and he hardly sat next to me in classes as he used to.

"Are you trekking to Utility hall?" He asked, quite the obvious.

"Did you give me transport money?" I replied absent mindedly.

"Okay then, I'll be using transport, see you there"

"Okay, keep seat for me!" I shouted as he flagged down a bus to Utility Hall.

When I arrived he had kept a seat for me beside him, that was odd.

"Thanks for the seat" I said gratefully.

"No problem"

This was not good. I dunno why but I felt uncomfortable here.

Lecturer came in and class was off.
Midway into class, I turned my bead and saw Chris going through my bag. I didn't mind, maybe be was looking for a pen. I faced the lecturer and continued listening.

Someone tapped me. I looked at Chris and gave him a questioning look to which he held up a piece of paper and opened it for me. I almost fainted when I saw it's contents. WTAF.

"Shhhhh" he shushed me, wait a minute did he just do that? "After class, we'll talk".

I was mad and let's just say I wasn't paying any slight attention to the bearded man in front of the class. As soon as he left I turned to Chris.

" What are you doing with that?" I asked pointing at the sheet he took from my bag. "Give it back".

"Why should I?" He asked looking at me with disgust, what the heck!

"Who is Cassandra?" He finally asked and this time he was smirking.

"Well, someone?" I told him still trying to figure out why he was asking.

"The one I know?"

"Maybe"

"Our course mate?"

"Uhm, yes?"

"I see..." He placed the paper in his shirt pocket. "So you wrote a love letter to her?"

"No its not a love letter" I told him as calm as possible

"Then I'll read it out to the class." He threatened.

"No please don't" I pleaded.

Cassandra was a fair tell lady in our class and I admired her brilliance. She's among the group of students that always has a question for the lecturer and never failed to answer any question thrown to her. She was beautiful and, as every other beautiful girl, had a queue of guys that wanted her, not that she turned them down.

I, being myself, kept this crush to myself and did what I do best. I wrote a poem in her name. Am not really a poet but let's just say that I love writing. So when the idea came, I didn't even hesitate. It was just a poem of four lines but it covered a lot about how I feel for her.

When Chris threatened to read it to the class, I felt weak. Blackmail. He was blackmailing me. He was fricking blackmailing me. Who does that these days?. Yeah, I know, Chris.

Next thing he started insulting me, calling me a coward, names, mockeries, then came the bullying. I think he told his friends though, because I almost couldn't look up and not see someone staring at me with such hatred that I can't help but think where I met such a person.

Well, ever since, it's been just me and my books, facing my studies, passing my exams and importantly, staying alone.

*******************************

Wiping the roll of tears from my eyes, I sat up from my bed, went to my desk and picked up the first book I saw. Reading has always been a get-away medium for me ever since the incident  I stopped writing and instead I read more.

I guess nobody is home yet since everywhere was quiet. I checked my time..

11:53pm

What!!!!!.

Being in my room can be deceiving. My curtain is thick and always shut and my wall clock is malfunctioning. I can spend a whole day in here with my phone and not feel it.

I rushed out of my room and headed to the kitchen. Thank God the power is on.
I heated the beans porridge and ate from the pot.

I hate being bullied but funny enough I get that almost everyday.
Today was far too extreme. Chris knew of my weakness with ladies, even everyone, and how shy I was, yet.

'Friends Suck!!' I thought out before reaching for my phone and pressed the shuffle icon on my music app.

As Bambi by Jidenna played, I wondered how tomorrow would be.
I really wish I could turn the hands of time.

*********★**********★***********★**********

Pheew. I must admit. That was weird!

Question: What's up with Chris?

Find out later. Ha!

Don't forget to:

Comment...

Vote...

Share...

Thanks.

Love y'all.