14 - The best way to start the day

Start from the beginning

He brushed a hand over his jaw in that way that made her stomach flutter. "I wish I could delete last night's incident from your memory, but sex with you is something else. As if it's"—he made a circular motion with his hand and arm—"kismet, like it's meant to be."

She smiled. "Kismet."

Noah did a quick survey of his kitchen, presumably to check what he could offer her for breakfast, which gave Jaya a much-needed break to get her head on straight. She was beginning to worry he'd be able to sweet-talk her into anything if she wasn't careful.

"How do you want your pancakes?"

She leaned against the door frame, so she was out of his way. "Depends on what kind of pancakes you're making."

"I can make whatever you like: blueberry, strawberry, banana, plain. Your choice."

Shaking her head, she pointed at him. "I thought you're Italian."

He scratched his temple. "Italian-American, yes. I don't see what that has to do with anything."

She took the coffee mug he handed her. "I was merely wondering whether you were going to make American or European pancakes."

"You mean crêpes?" He opened one of the bottom drawers and got a pan.

"No. I mean anything that's not as thick as the American pancake and isn't covered in syrup."

"I can make you a thin pancake."

She resented herself for thinking he was so hot, so cute, so perfect. She wasn't any better than his online admirers.

"Why are you looking so feverish?" Coming closer, he studied her face.

"I'm fine. Just embarrassed," she admitted, fanning herself.

"For wanting a thin pancake?"

The way he looked at her and misread the situation, she had to laugh. She laughed so hard she had to lie down on the floor.

Noah came to stand over her, his face beaming with humor.

It took her all of five minutes to regain her composure.

"Well, I'm glad you're having one hell of a morning."

She got up and sat atop the counter, pulling him close for a long, lingering kiss. "Thank you."

"My pleasure."

***

***

Half an hour later, they sat outside on the deck, enjoying their thin pancakes sprinkled with freshly squeezed lemon juice and brown sugar.

Noah couldn't help his smile. Watching Jaya eat was a revelation: how she leaned back in her seat, her eyelashes brushing her cheeks, the soft sounds she made, and how much time she devoted to each bite.

He realized then that he spent way too much time with people who ate because they had to, not because every meal could be a celebration of nourishment for the body and soul.

Noah laid a hand over Jaya's. "You look happy."

"I am happy. Thanks for the lovely morning," she said, then cleared her throat and retrieved her hand. He followed her gaze toward the patio door—where his mom and his younger sister Dani stood with knowing smiles on their faces.

The two of them came over, and then what he expected to happen did.

"Please tell me you're my brother's new girlfriend!" Dani reached for Jaya's hand with such enthusiasm Noah was surprised she didn't pull Jaya out of the chair for a hug. "I'm so excited to finally meet you. I'm a big fan of your work."

"Ah, thank you," Jaya stammered, getting up. "I'm not his girlfriend, just his neighbor. Sorry, I have to go. Nice to meet you." And with that, Jaya ran off.

Yup, that went well.

-----------------------

Thanks for reading! :) Please remember to vote and feel free to leave comments. xo—A