4:\\ We Aren't Exclusive

Start from the beginning

She wasn't easy and she didn't play hard to get. She was just focused on getting straight A's and the occasional thought of taking my spot as valedictorian usually crossed her mind. Those were the thoughts I adored because it allowed me to have space for myself and to think. She was ambitious and it inspired me a bit.

I shut my eyes, wishing so badly that these thoughts could disappear, I didn't want to hear them.

Violet's eyes looked at me and suddenly my mind went blank. Her eyes were as dark as her sleek dark brown hair that swayed ever so slightly with the air conditioning of the classroom.

As soon as her deep eyes looked at me, everyone's thoughts disappeared and the only thing I heard were my own telling me to keep looking. I wanted to stare at her all day if it meant hearing other people's judgemental opinions disappear. It was weird, but I loved it. Having my thoughts be heard in my mind other than a hundred or so other people's.

But as soon as she glanced away, they poured back in like a waterfall. I groaned, wishing I could be back home on a Thursday night with my parents away on date night and my mind completely free of people and their thoughts.

At first this talent was something I took great pride in. But now, I wanted nothing more than to be rid of it.

And glancing into Violet's eyes did that for me. I wanted more.

After class the teacher whose name I didn't bother remembering asked me to stay for a minute. I wasn't curious why she specifically asked me, she had been thinking about talking to me the entire class. She asked me what my favorite subject was and why I decided to take history as a junior. Of course whatever excuse she could make to hear my voice was welcomed, but I didn't approve or want a relationship with a teacher- that's just weird.

I replied blandly, my mind unable to break free from her dirty thoughts and I was getting sick of it.

"I have to go." I smiled impatiently and walked out. I followed suit behind the large crowds of students in the hallway and walked out the school door. The parking lot was in sight and it wouldn't take too long to reach my car.

In my peripheral vision, there was Violet focused on a conversation with her friend. I was too far to hear anything and I ignored it.

I continued to my Toyota and sat inside waiting for Amy. She knew if she made me wait too long I would leave, but today I considered staying a bit longer. Violet's car was parked across from mine a few lanes away and she stood talking to her friend. She had one friend and I didn't expect anything more from her.

I thought maybe if I focused on her mind I could hear what she way saying, but that didn't work. She spoke animatedly as her friend turned to look at me. As soon as we made eye contact her far away thoughts zoomed into my mind.

If Violet was smart she would so do him.

I looked away, so they had been talking about me. I started the engine, growing impatient as I backed out of the parking spot.

"Wait, where're you going?" Amy rushed in front of me and slammed the door of the passenger seat.

"You know how I get impatient... You really don't need to spend that long after school greeting your friends."

"But it's the first day of school and they didn't see me this morning. Of course I have to greet them." She smiled as an image got thrust into my brain.

She had been kissing some random guy, the image didn't last long enough for me to decipher who it was but I let it go. It wasn't like we were exclusively dating, she was just a hook up kind of gal to me.

"Are we going to your house?" She asked, licking her lips seductively.

"Nope, I'm dropping you off today. I have homework to do."

"Since when did you do your homework?" She scoffed rhetorically as I continued to drive before she added, "On the first day?!"

"Since now, Amy, we're here." I parked in front of her house and waited for her to go inside.

"Do you want to come in?" She asked, assuming I would say yes.

"Not really." I shrugged as she did her best to hide her disappointment as a million questions swarmed in her mind. I didn't care to answer any of them unless she actually asked. I didn't have to explain myself, we weren't exclusive.

"Okay. Pick me up tomorrow morning then?" She smiled, stepping out of the car and leaning on the open window.

"Nah, I'm busy." I replied coolly.

Did I do something wrong?

Does he know about Tyler?

Her thoughts flashed before me.

"Maybe you should have Tyler pick you up." I suggested. She looked shocked, as then her thoughts wondered how I found out so quickly. I smirked, there was no way to keep them from going viral.

"You know?" She whispered, backing away from my car. How the hell did he know, it literally happened 15 minutes ago?! She furrowed her brows.

"Of course I do. But don't worry Aimes, we were never exclusive, you can do what you want." I smiled, hoping to make the guilt she was shedding be taken away from me. I had to admit it stung a little.

"Are you sure you're okay with it? He asked me out and I said I would think about it but..."

"You don't have to explain yourself Amy." I held my hand up, "I really don't want to hear it." I really don't want your vivid images popping up in my mind.

"Okay, as long as you're okay with it. I guess we should end our... You know?" She bit her lip as I nodded.

"Yeah. If that's what you want." I smiled casually, hoping she got the message. "Date who you want. We aren't exclusive." I said for what felt like the hundredth time.

"Thanks Aaron, you're the best." She grinned, any traces of guilt were gone.

"I know." I laughed as she waved at me driving away.

"See you tomorrow!" The smile wouldn't erase itself from her face and I grinned along.

"See you." I mumbled as I hopped onto the street and headed home.

Time for homework.

****

AMAZON PAPERBACK LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Who-Read-Minds-ebook/dp/B08RYV11F2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=veronica+Soliman&qid=1609863783&sr=8-3

Barnes and Noble: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)

Apple Store: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)

Hey everyone! Hope you enjoyed this chapter, please be sure to VOTE (like), comment, and follow @Veronicasoli for updates and possible entries to giveaways!