Listen, Don't Touch ~ Chapter 18

HERE. JUST TAKE IT. GO.

~~

"How was it staying at Logan's place?" Mrs. Jansen asked me.

I beamed at her smiled like the little fucking angel I am. "We watched Beauty and the Beast and then and then and then this morning we ate poptarts–"

"Only poptarts? Are you hungry–?"

"NOPE. QUIET WOMAN. And then he took me into town because– um. I'm not very good at...singing...in front of people as I am...so um yeah. We went into TOWN and I SANG! I SANG IN FRONT OF PEOPLE! And I made twenty bucks! I was gonna buy yogurt but Logan insisted and by insisted I mean forced me to split it with him." YES! I told her about me, about how I am uncomfortable with people and stuff. I mean, I know she knew, but it's cool that I'm trying to talk.

She looked genuinely happy for me. Genuinely. She smiled.

Did my mom used to smile like that?

"Good job Case. I'm glad you get along really well with Logan. It's hard to get cleared by that one. But he really likes you, hope you feel honored." She joked.

"No, he doesn't like me that much. He just decided to accept my presence." I know I said I wasn't hungry, but I lied. So I got three apples from the bowl in the kitchen.

"Oh I don't think that. You know, JD used to make Logan play in town like that all the time until he loved doing it. He must like you enough to bring you to one of his favorite things to do with his favorite person in the world."

I thought of little Logan and JD singing in town. Awh so cute da bebes. I bet they were super good as street performers, singing together, harmonizing, together, JD and Logan, Logan and JD.

No Case.

Logan and JD.

No Case.

I was frowning.

WAKE UP CASE.

Now I was smiling! Nah, there was definitely nothing there to think about. Actually, there was! Logan took me to do the thing he loved most? That's awesome! I honestly felt touched.

Except when I reminded myself I'm probably just filling the spot JD left. Was that true? I mean, I literally am JD's replacement, but there's no way Logan took me to town because perhaps he...missed JD?

Haha, Case? Remember that thing called 'thinking'? yeah, stop doing that. Uncharted territory.

"Mama dearest, what on Earth are you doing?"

"It's called baking Case, you know, what you must do considering how high you seem all the time."

My jaw hit the floor. "You really are Andrew's mother! How can you say that to your baby?!"

She put a hand on her shoulder and seemed to disregard the scorching burn she dealt me a second ago. "Wanna help?"

I sprung up and cracked the eggs for her. But apparently they don't like crunchy eggs so she had to spoon out all the shells I so graciously added to the ingredients. At first I thought we were making a cake but nope, it ended up to be muffins. I was close.

I took a muffin up to my room. It just occurred to me but there are technically two flights of stairs to get upstairs. The first one had 5 steps, and the second had eight. WHY DID ONE GROUP OF STAIRS HAVE AN ODD NUMBER WHILE THE OTHER ONE WAS EVEN? WHAT KIND OF POOR PLANNING IS THAT?!