Chapter 19: Why Shadow is Helping Avion

Sonic stared at Shadow, clenching his fists. Shadow stared back. It was completely silent. But Sonic finally spoke. "Shadow! Why?" he asked.

Shadow raised an eyebrow. "Why what?" Shadow asked. "Why are you helping Avion?" Sonic asked. Shadow didn't answer. "Answer me goddammit!" Sonic yelled out. Shadow grinned. 

"You know, that reminds me of what Silver told me before I beat him to a pulp" Shadow said. Sonic's eyes widened. "What?!" Shadow looked at him. "That's right. Avion told me to dispose of them. I beat everyone up, and even shot Knuckles!" Shadow said. 

"What?!" Sonic said, holding onto the bars. "Don't worry, I only shot him in the chest. He didn't lose his brain. Though, I doubt he had one in the first place" Shadow said, making a joke. Sonic tightened his grip on the bars. "Why you!" Shadow grinned.

"Answer me!" Sonic yelled, punching the bars. "Once I escape, you'll be sorry!" Sonic continued to punch the bars. Amy stopped him. "Sonic! Stop! Shadow, why won't you answer us?" Amy asked. Shadow turned his back towards them. "Why should I?" he asked.

"Because we will find out whether you are doing this out of shear joy, or doing this for a specific reason" Amy explained. "The answer is still no" Shadow said. Amy smiled. "is it because you're chicken?" she asked. 

Shadow turned to her. "What?! I'm not chicken! I beat up all of your friends!" Shadow yelled out. "You might be brave enough to do that, but you're not even brave enough to tell us why you're helping Avion" Amy said. She crossed her arms. Sonic smiled.

Shadow gritted his teeth. "Why you!" He crossed his arms and closed his eyes. "Fine. Since, you're so desperate, I don't see why not. Besides, there's no way you can escape when I'm standing guard! Anyways, the reason why I'm helping Avion is....." Shadow took a deep breath.

"Is because....Avion.....is.....my brother" Shadow said. Both Sonic's and Amy's eyes widened. "What?!" Sonic said. Shadow nodded. "Yep. He's my bro. I still owe him" Shadow said. "Owe him for what?" Amy asked.

"Well, when we were little, our parents died in an accident. Life was hard for me and my brother. But he was so sweet and kind. If you look at him from then and compare him now, you'll just think 'what happened?' Well, I don't know what happened. But he was 12 and I was 8. He worked and slaved all day, trying to harvest food for survival. He was always nice. He always sacrificed himself for me. He would always give me most of the food. He had always given me the blanket on cold nights. He had done everything for me. I promised him I would owe him back one day. but I though he forgot".

Shadow took a seat on a chair near a desk close to the cell Sonic and Amy were in. Sonic couldn't process the whole thing. Avion was Shadow's brother? Avion used to be nice and kind? Shadow's parents died? This brought a whole lot of questions. What had happened to Avion? Why did he turn so evil? How did Shadow's parents die/" It was all so confusing.

"Must've been rough on you" Sonic commented. Shadow got up and chocked Sonic through the bars. "Rough? ROUGH? That's all you have to say! I survived a living hell! Living with no parents or guardians! Just a brother! Having that brother abandon you! And living on your own when you're 11!" Shadow said. He threw Sonic on the ground. 

Sonic got up. "Wait, Avion abandoned you?" Sonic asked. Shadow nodded. "One day I woke up and he was gone. I didn't think he was still alive. I had to live by myself! Without him! I hadn't seen him in over a decade! I don't even know how he got my number" Shadow sat down. 

"It's okay man. Forget about the past and move on" Sonic said. Amy nodded. Shadow got up and punched Sonic through the bars. "How can I forget my shit past! It's the whole reason why I act this way in the present! If I should forget my past, how about my present! And how about my future!" Shadow yelled at him. "You've made me mad! I swear to god, if I could fine a good reason to kill you, I would!" Shadow yelled at him. Shadow grabbed his gun and pointed it at Sonic. He dropped it and sat down, crying.