♪ I'll Take the Truth at Any Cost ♪ {40}

Start from the beginning

 I felt a little stirring in my heart as it it did somersaults in my stomach. I opened my mouth to deny his accusation but I found that I couldn't. It was all true. I cared about Blake and it was only then did I realize that the only way I could even have a slither of a chance to reconcile with him, it had to be now.

Before Carter could get to him.

 "You should tell him." Xander sighed. "The guy's heads over heels for you. And I know that those feelings aren't just one-sided. He deserves to know, Lacey."

 I nodded briefly, rubbing my hands up and down my shoulders before standing. "I'll tell him."

 "Now?"

 I paused. "Now."

 -----

The door stayed shut.

My heart fell to the pits of my stomach with dread. What if Carter had already gotten to him? As weak and pathetic as it was, I felt tears begin to prick my eyes though nothing fell. My fist slowly fell from it's spot on the floor, falling limply to my side.

Seconds passed. Then the seconds became minutes. No one answered the door.

Just as I began to give up, the feeling of hopelessness resting in my gut, I heard the crunch of gravel behind me.

"Sturm?" his familiar voice asked in confusion. When I spun around, there he was. His dark brown hair was glowing in the sunlight, the silhouette gleaming a golden hue. His green eyes were gazing into mine, clearly bewildered by my sudden appearance when I had been avoiding him for days. Wearing a Tonight Alive shirt and dirty sneakers, he stood a few feet away, hands in his pockets as I taped in his direction.

"Harnage," I breathed, closing the distance between us and enveloping him in a hug. He smelled like chocolate and wood, the familiar scent in my nose as I pressed my face against his shoulder.

"I'm confused," he murmured, "You ignore me for days and now you're hugging me as if you were going off to war or something." It didn't sound like an accusation and I when I peeled away to glance at him, his face was devoid of anger. I only saw confusion. At least that was a good sign.

"I'll explain," I replied, holding my hands up. "How about we go for a walk?"

"I need to practice-" Upon seeing my dismayed expression, Blake's lips curled into a small smile. "But they don't need me. Lets go." His hand found it's way to the small of my back,  guiding me along. I blushed at the contact, but let him lead me across the small field we were currently occupying as the stage area and into the city.

The walk was silent as I contemplated how I was going to tell him. It wouldn't come easy and I didn't know what his reaction would be. The thought had me bubbling with a terrified anticipation. Blake's hand had abandoned my back halfway into the town, opting to hold my hand instead. I hoped he didn't mind the clamminess because I was fucking nervous.

We took a turn around the block, filing into the crowd of passersby that took refuge on the sidewalk. They had their hands in their pockets, pushing past others and not paying us any attention. I was glad.

"So," I started, unsure how to go on.

"So?" Blake echoed from my right. I bit my lip, only to have him inhale sharply and add, "Okay, can I go first?"

Surprise colored my expression but I squeezed his hand and nodded.

He stopped walking, pulling me aside so that passersby could get around us. Leaning against a wall, he patted the area beside him and I complied, joining him at his side.