Chapter 76 - To A Melody of Light

"No."

Olivia grit her teeth. She had not been waiting outside the holding cells for the last half-an-other-cursed-hour just to be told no. "Please? I just need like, five minutes so I can give Banshee a report before I--"

"I'm sorry, Shadowheart," said a Flamepillar guard she'd never seen before today and did not sound sorry at all. "If your Luminary wishes to have contact with Ella Spiritcaller, she will have to do so herself. Spiritcaller's condition is currently far too unstable to be allowing civilians, whether Luminary sanctioned or not, into her quarters. You have my deepest apologies."

Olivia closed her eyes for a moment before nodding her head and walking away from the guarded passage leading down to where Ella was held. She pulled her Liaiser out of her bag as she reached Jason, who was standing beside a shadow-covered wall.

"I presume there's been no changes?" said Jason, looking up from his own Liaiser as she approached.

Olivia found Stefan's contact details and started typing out the message. "Nope. I think they've even put guards out front that they know won't cave into my asking. The guy out the front at the moment is a real hardass, but I've got one last thing to try before they can write me off for today, dammit."

[They won't let me in. I don't suppose you want to give that code word a try?]

Not long after she hit send on her message, Olivia received Stefan's reply.

[I'll be there shortly.]

Jason raised an eyebrow. "What's your 'one last thing'?"

Olivia told him about Stefan and the supposed code word. "But if that doesn't work, then I guess we go back and write Banshee and Cryo a note and hope they see it." She held onto her Liaiser with a firm, steady grip. And then I'll transform and march straight past that guard who thinks he can keep me away from Ella.

"I'll be sure Cryo receives word by tonight so he can investigate himself," said Jason. "Hopefully he'll be able to contact Banshee to accompany him."

Olivia couldn't help a small smile. Perfect. "Sounds like a good idea to me." Her smile slipped a little. "Hey, Frostsong?"

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you about this morning?"

Jason's face hardened. "What would you like to ask about?"

Olivia pressed her lips together. "I know the flower shop meant a lot to you, and I really did mean what I said--if you guys need help, I'm more than willing to help out with getting it back on track. But um, what I wanted to ask about was..." She sank her teeth into her bottom lip. The words sounded so dumb now she was about to speak them out loud. "Well, when the police turned the whole thing into my interrogation--" She threw a hand up. "--Ugh, I don't know. Nevermind, it feels stupid just saying it. Forget I said anything."

Olivia folded her arms and turned away, pretending to watch the walkways for Stefan when, a few moments later, Jason replied.

"Do you... want to know if my reaction was due to my emotions regarding the shop, or rather, if it was their personal attack on you?"

Olivia half-turned back towards him and gave him a sheepish look. "Yeah, pretty much that. But it feels pretty self-centred to say it out loud I guess, especially when I know how much you cared about Gerald and the flowers."

Jason's gaze fell to rest on his fingers, gently laced among each other around his Liaiser. "If I were honest, I'd say it was a mix of both. I am still rather upset about what happened to the shop, but I'd prepared myself for it before I got there. I was handling it rather well, I thought. But as soon as they began treating you like a suspect, my patience ran out. You were honestly trying to help, and they'd rather turn their suspicions on you."