Chapter 53 - Distracted

Olivia was finding it more than a little difficult to concentrate on her conversation with Ericka later that night.

She couldn't stop thinking about Harpy, out there somewhere as the Serpent's captive. Every instinct was screaming at her to transform right this second and search the city until she found her, but the rational side of her that sounded suspiciously like Cryo kept her in check. She couldn't check the entire city. It was impossible.

"Liv?"

Olivia tapped her fingers on the side of her nightstand, her eyes wandering over the walls of her bedroom. Then there was Jason, what he'd said about his mother. She'd figured Aurelia would be the strict type, but what Jason had described seemed to go far beyond that. She was starting to think that talking to Aurelia might not have been as helpful as she'd originally thought. Her parents had always told her to tackle things head on, but then, they didn't live by the ridiculous temple formalities.

"Hello? Olivia?"

Olivia's gaze drifted out to her balcony where she'd left the door open for the breeze. She wondered where Jason was at the moment, if he was happy. And Ella--what would Ella be doing right now? Their chat with her this afternoon had been casual enough that Olivia could tell herself that Ella was making progress, but there'd still been something dark underlying the light tone of her voice, like--

"Skypillar to Olivia! Hello!"

Olivia blinked, her attention snapping back to the sight of Ericka's waving hand on her Liaiser screen. "Sorry, Rikky. I spaced out for a bit, but I was still listening, promise."

Ericka rolled her eyes. "Uh huh, sure Liv. What did I say then?"

Olivia pressed her lips together. "Umm... something about costume design for Starsong's dress?"

Ericka sighed. "Close enough, I guess. I made some alterations to Aurelia's original design. I was wondering if you think she'd go for it?"

"I don't know," said Olivia. "If you pitch it in a way that's all temple-y and stuff I'm sure she would. Ask Ariel, she'd come up with a way to sell it easily."

"Well, since you seem to be so out of it I'll release you from this conversation and go bug Ariel," said Ericka. "I'll see you--oh, wait! I wanted to ask, have you asked your parents about the Riverweed swim? It's in less than a week! Actually, it'd be a week from now since it's the same day as today just a week from now but--"

Olivia bit the inside of her cheek. "Um, I haven't asked, but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be no. I'm still getting the blackouts, so I'm pretty sure I know how the conversation will go." She leaned to the left. "Hey mum and dad, can I go for a swim in the canals when literally everyone else in the city will be doing the same thing?" She leaned to the right and deepened her voice. "No, Olive, you know it's too dangerous." Leaned right, normal voice. "But I'll be careful and Ericka and Ariel will watch me--" Left, deeper voice. "Olive you can't expect your friends to be watching you all the time. All it takes is one lapse of judgement and--" She sat back up straight and sighed. "You get the idea."

"I'd watch you the whole time!" said Ericka. "I'd say they could come, but given it's a holiday it's probably one of the best days for business for them. I'll think about it some more and see if I can come up with anything."

Despite knowing that anything Ericka came up with would just be shot down regardless, Olivia smiled. "Thanks, Rikky. I'll see you tomorrow at performance practice, yeah?"

"You bet!" said Ericka. "Bye, Livvvv! Love yooooooou!"

"Love you too, Rikkyyyyyy!" said Olivia.