Chapter 64 - What We Play For, Part I

'Can't let go' - art by DestinyBlue on Deviantart

Why do we hold onto things, even when they hurt us? 

It reminded me a lot of Jason's situation with Aurelia, thought I'd share <3 

*+*+*+*

With an unusual warmth inside of him, Jason drove the Gleamer through the streets of Cevinari towards the temple grounds.

He felt well rested for the first time in a week. Despite the events of yesterday, his thoughts were clear, his mind at ease and steady. He wasn't fighting to keep his usual doubts and anxieties under wraps. They were still there, they just didn't feel as heavy as they usually did. He could breathe.

Who knew. Apparently it's better to sleep against a wall than in a bed.

When Jason slowed the Gleamer for a moment, he couldn't help a glance at Olivia. She was still there with that smile on her face, one elbow on the edge of the side car, her head resting in her hand with her other arm wrapped securely around his violin case. She still looked as sleepy as yesterday, and though there was something amazing about the way the morning sun was catching the frame of her glasses, that wasn't the reason Jason struggled to keep his gaze on the road.

She was smiling because of him.

It was hard to shake the thought. Skypillar, was it conceited of him to even be thinking it? There could have been a million other reasons for her smile, he told himself. A million far better reasons than him.

It didn't stop him from wanting to believe it with every molecule of his existence.

Jason pulled into the garage as gently as possible, not wanting to shake Olivia awake just yet. He managed to get it parked and secured for the day before he found himself needing to place a hand on her shoulder and shake her awake from her nap.

"Olivia?"

Olivia jerked back, her hand and cheek separating in a rather violent motion. "Hey--Hey! I'm awake, I was awake the whole time. Just--" She yawned. "--Just resting my eyes, Frostsong, don't you worry." She handed him his violin case and struggled out of the side car. "Ready for a big day of temple work. No problem."

Jason offered her a hand. She took it without hesitation and used it to straighten herself out.

"Thanks, Frostsong." Olivia yawned again. "Sorry. I swear I won't be falling asleep all day. Sort of."

"There's nothing to apologise for," said Jason. They began walking up the same path they'd first walked together surrounded by a storm, her drenched, him with anxiety crawling up his throat with each crash of thunder. "Am I not delivering you home early enough to get enough sleep?"

Olivia waved a hand. "It's not you, don't worry. I've just been having trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep, I guess."

"If there's anything I can do to help, will you let me know?"

Olivia glanced at him and smiled. "Awh, I didn't know you cared, Frostsong."

Jason could have sworn his heart skipped a beat.

He forced himself to swallow, nod, and look straight ahead.

Olivia made idle small talk as they picked up their task for the day, and Jason found himself enjoying the company.

Always here if you need me, Frostsong.

Always here.

Their task for the day wasn't exactly the epitome of excitement, but the time passed quickly. Olivia was easy to talk to, and Jason was still stuck on that smile. He threw in a few comments every so often just to see if he could get another one out of her, and every time he did, he found one of his own lurking on the corners of his lips. Skypillar help him when she laughed.