Everybody Makes Mistakes

Finding Jessica Marano proved to be a challenge. Taking into consideration that there was over a hundred kids in the Dryer's house, it wasn't much of a surprise that I couldn't find the quiet, timid girl that more times than not, had her face buried in her textbook. She didn't really seem like a party type of girl, then again, I guess I probably didn't either.

As I poked my head into what appeared to be the only empty room in the house, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror. My mom had done a great job with my make up; I didn't even look like Paige Banner anymore. I looked like a new and improved, sexier version of her. My hair fell in loose chocolate ringlets around my perfectly painted face. My green eyes were bright against my rosy cheek and dark eyeliner and shadow. I looked like the girls I had always seen in the halls at school, confidence radiating off of them as they stalked by. Even looking as good as I did tonight, I couldn't say my confidence level was very high.

A few guys had cat called after me, but my mind had been on scouting out Zane or Jessica. Neither had crossed my line of sight in the twenty minutes I'd been here. Some part of me was sure this was a huge waste of time and I was making a complete fool out of myself.

"Damn, Paige." a slur broke through my thoughts, "You look hot."

I dropped my clenched fist to my side and stared down Marcus leaning against the door frame, a small bottle of vodka in his right hand.

I crossed the room and fell back on the bed. "You look drunk."

"I guess we're just stating facts here then." he winked.

Snorting, I pulled my phone from my purse and sent Zane a text, urging him to respond or meet me upstairs in ten minutes or I would be heading back home.

My stomach was uneasy, my mind was in constant reminder that I had a little boy waiting for me at home. I shouldn't be wasting my time here, at a high school party, when I could be spending as much time possible with him. My mom had warned me of separation anxiety, I just hadn't realized it would be this bad.

"About that whole losing your virginity to me thing." he stepped into the bedroom. "You still up for it?"

"Not with you." I averted my eyes. "Not anymore.

He snorted, taking another swing from the bottle before he set it down on the ground by the door.

"Come on, Paige. You came to me las-"

"Fuck off, Marcus." I snapped.

He gently pushed the door shut behind him, listening for the click before he crossed the room with a sigh.

"Is this sudden repulsion of me a result of spending so much time with my brother?" he questioned with a raised eyebrow, blue eyes dilated. "As much as I hate to tell you this sweetheart, he's across the hall banging some poor freshman as we speak."

He stared down at me expectantly, as if he had the delusion I'd be angered by what he'd told me.

"That's great." I smiled. "I'm happy for him."

"Are you really?" Marcus collapsed on the bed beside me, resting his head against the cool surface of the white comforter.

I met his intense stare. "I am, Mark. The kid has been itching to have sex for a while, I'm glad he finally got his wish."

"What about you? Don't you want to lose it too?" he propped his head up with one arm and reached out to brush a strand of my hair out of my eyes with the other.