Chapter Eighty-Six

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Neville had never seen Kefira more determined when she returned from her discussion with Professor Snape. He was curious as to what the Professor had told the girl in order to light the fire under her again, but whatever he said, it certainly worked. Kefira had been studying the little book he had given her, even in other classes. Several times she had been caught and Professor McGonagall had threatened to take it away from her at one point. But Neville was just happy to see her back in her element, he was sure what Professor Snape told her was probably beyond harsh and she had set out to prove him wrong. So it was probably best that Neville didn't know what the man said because he didn't want anyone talking to Kefira in any harsh manner. 

"I can't believe all this new stuff," Kefira said at one point, leaning into Neville's side. After a long class with Professor Snape in Defence Against the Dark Arts, Neville figured that she probably wouldn't want anything to do with Snape, but as she sat in Neville's lap in the common room, she had the little book propped open in her lap. 

"What do you mean?" Neville asked her, looking over from his own reading. "You've read the book over half a dozen times."

"I know, but if you compare what he's written versus what's written in the text, there are so many ways that go against the standard methods. You see, like right here...rather than just cutting the root, he recommends crushing it using the side of the knife because it allows the person to collect more of the juices. I know Snape can be a total git but I can't deny that the man really does know his stuff. Better than the textbooks."

"Well, it's not as surprising as you think," Neville pointed out," if you think about it, your Potions book was originally written so long ago. That was the standard way to brew the potions and if it's not wrong, many would see it as no need to fix it.  So if Snape has figured out new methods, but they haven't been shared. Everyone is using outdated methods..."

"Yeah, everyone but Harry," Kefira pondered out loud. "Looking back, he's done a lot of things that Professor Snape has written down in this book. I find that pretty odd since he never showed a knack for potions before, now all of a sudden he's pulling out all these moves. I highly doubt Professor Snape is sharing methods with him, mainly because he pretty much loathes Harry...."

Neville placed his book down, witnessing the gears in Kefira's mind at work as her eyes narrowed. "Harry is doing something..."

"And you plan on doing something about it?" Neville questioned with a worried look. Harry was still his friend and one of his dorm mates, he really didn't want his girlfriend and his friend to be at war. It was awkward enough with Seamus and Dean still, Neville really didn't want to be stuck in the middle any further. 

"Yes," Kefira said causing his face to pale, "I'm going to keep working at developing my own methods. I'll use Snape's as a base for my own and then by the next Potions class, he won't even see it coming. I'll have Slughorn spinning in circles."