Chapter Forty Five

Kefira wasn't sure what to think when it came to McGonagall leading the girl all the way back to her office and then closing the door behind them. She didn't understand why McGonagall's concern rose with the Mandrake leaf that she still had tucked away on the left side of her cheek. But she had to assume that McGonagall was worried of Professor Umbridge figuring out what Kefira had been up to for the school year and that certainly wouldn't have ended well. She seemed somewhat relieved when Kefira revealed that she still had the leaf in her possession, but the woman's main concern quickly became of the girl's hand. It was still bleeding terribly and it stung to the fiery depths of hell as she tried to remain calm. 

"Ms. Walsh, I need you to explain what happened during your detention. How did you even wind up in detention when I have warned you....I have warned all of you to remain on your best behavior!" McGonagall's voice faltered and she sounded upset, not with Kefira, but with the idea that Professor Umbridge was stooping so low to cause them such pain and actually mark their skin.

"It's not doing us any good!" Kefira told her. "Sitting back with our hands folded in our lap isn't going to solve the problem. She is constantly poking and prodding, hoping for a reaction. Why else would she make Malfoy and Parkinson members of her Inquisitorial Squad? Because they are the type of students who will constantly push students to their breaking point. Once the student finally snaps, Umbridge is right there to deal the punishment to the wrong person. One by one, we're all going to be set up, just so we can be punished. Her punishments are meant to instill fear so that she can control us...I'm not letting her do that."

"You must learn how to pick-"

"Pick my battles? Yes, Professor, I've heard it time and time before. But I have learned and this is the battle I'm picking to fight in because people like Umbridge don't deserve to win."

"Is this why you took it upon yourself to go through this....training," McGonagall made sure to word her sentences carefully, just in case anyone decided to eavesdrop on any of their conversation. "To go against Umbridge? Is this part of Dumbledore's Army?"

"No, Professor McGonagall, this is completely separate. It's for an even bigger matter that everyone seems to be in denial of and that some are even trying to cover up. But you know what I'm talking about."

A moment of pure silence passed over them, as Kefira remained still allowing McGonagall to clean up her hand. Even with the use of magic, the carved lettering of TROLL remained carved onto the top of her hand. She could just see her mother's face playing over and over in her head, but not only that, she couldn't even imagine what her father was going to do. Cardel never really expressed anger, even when he was irritated, he did his best to remain calm. But Kefira knew that this was probably going to set the man off to the point of no return. 

Cardel could be the sweetest and most caring man in the world, helping any of those in need, but when it came to people who decided to hurt his family, they had another thing coming. 

"You're not doing this alone," Professor McGonagall spoke, "so who is instructing you?"

Kefira remained silent, not wishing to give out her uncle's information as she swore to keep it a secret. It was one thing for her to take the fall but she wasn't going to bring down Bandile with her. She had just as much part in the whole situation as he had been the one to offer the training, but she had accepted it, knowing all the potential consequences and dangers. 

"Ms. Walsh-"

"I'm sorry, Professor, but I can't tell you that," Kefira said with a small frown. "I made a promise and I keep every promise I ever make to the best of my abilities. If I'm going to get in trouble then it's all on my shoulders and no one else's."