Chapter Eighty-Four

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Neville was determined to get Kefira out of the slump she had fallen into, due to the fact that she no longer found Potions enjoyable. It didn't mean that she couldn't find something enjoyable within the school. He wanted to see her smile again, even if he couldn't just walk up to Harry and tell him to start doing poorly in the class, she wouldn't like that either. If Kefira was to be the best at something, she wanted it to because she was actually the best, not because the best decided to take the back seat. Neville admired that about her but at the same time, he knew it was causing her pain as she deemed herself not good enough. As everyone focused on having a decent Defence Against the Dark Arts professor every year, Neville wished they would focus and hire a decent Potions professor as well.

Slughorn wasn't Professor Snape but he could equally do as much damage with the way he treated students that weren't considered his favourites. Professor Snape had never managed to break Kefira's spirits in the class no matter how hard he had pushed her, even Professor Umbridge had pushed only to have Kefira to push back. But Slughorn had managed to just put Kefira in a state of mind where she didn't want to fight anymore. That wasn't Kefira that Neville had known for years and it certainly wasn't the girl he loved. 

So even if she had it set in her mind that she was going to give up on Potions, Neville was going to do his best to find other ways of cheering her up to the best of his abilities. Even after confiding in Dean and Seamus with his concerns with Kefira's state, the two had put their own troubles aside to be there for the girl and cheer her up. Whether it was Seamus and Kefira going back to their usual bickering of calling each other a squirrel or a fire ant, it was nice to hear her laugh. To avoid making her the third wheel in the equation, Ginny and Dean invited her to spend time with them separately. 

Ginny even invited Luna with them to make it a girl's day one Saturday as they accompanied Luna on the castle grounds as the girl was in search of a creature that neither Ginny or Kefira had ever heard of. But nonetheless, they followed her around and even though they didn't find the creature, it was still a nice way to spend the day. But Neville had more tricks up his sleeves rather than just depending on friends to cheer her up.

One afternoon, he found her snuggled up in the lion onesie that she had received her Christmas. She had a book propped open in her lap and before Neville could question what it was, he could clearly see that it was Advanced Potion-Making. Obviously, Kefira was not ready to throw it all away as she claimed or she was just set on torturing herself in the comfort of the common room. Either way, Neville decided to distract her as he walked over to the armchair that she was sitting in and waited for her to look up.

It didn't take long for her to peel her eyes away from the text and glance up at him. Upon meeting his gaze, a curious smile formed as she was probably wondering what he was up to.