Chapter Sixty Four

Neville felt chills race down his spine as he was faced entering the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom with Professor Snape waiting outside the door. It still seemed that plenty of students thought it was a joke initially that the man was no longer teaching Potions, but it was quickly becoming a reality as they approached. Kefira didn't appear comfortable around him at all, Neville knew that Professor Snape had sent the girl books before the term began and it made him uncomfortable too. Snape had developed some odd relationship with Kefira over the years but it seemed Kefira was no longer interested in having anything to do with him. 

Rather than giving Snape the opportunity to utter a word in Kefira's direction, Neville took hold of her hand and moved her to stand behind them as they grew closer. 

"Inside," Professor Snape told them through his teeth as the door opened to the classroom allowing them in. The students quickly took note with how dark the classroom suddenly felt. Under the teachings of past professors, the room had never changed much, but since Snape had taken over, it was incredibly gloomy.

"I guess he wanted the classroom to match his soul," Kefira whispered to Neville as they took their seats.

"What soul?" Seamus said from where he sat behind them next to Dean. Frames were hung on the walls, all of them containing portraits of people in pain or painfully contorted body parts, setting the mood that they were, in fact, studying something pertaining to the Dark Arts. Kefira and Neville continued to steal glances with one another as if they were checking to make sure that the other was doing alright given the circumstances of the situation. 

Each time one of them were caught, they would offer a smile in hopes of offering some sort of comfort. It didn't seem to be working much especially as the door to the classroom swung close behind Professor Snape and he took to greeting them in the usual manner of sunshine and kisses.

"I have not asked you to take out your books," He eyed Hermione as she had been pulling the book out of her bag. Quickly, she let it drop before placing it underneath her chair quietly. "I wish to speak to you, and I want your fullest attention."

As he looked around the classroom at the students with his black eyes, Kefira made sure that she found her nail bed far more entertaining to ensure that she didn't make eye contact with him. Things had been left off incredibly awkward as she remembered Bandile dropping the man like a sack of potatoes outside the castle grounds.

"You have had five teachers in this subject so far, I believe. Naturally, these teachers will all have had their own methods and priorities. Given this confusion I am surprised so many of you scraped an O.W.L. in this subject. I shall be even more surprised if all of you manage to keep up with the N.E.W.T. work, which will be much more advanced."

"Well, we had a pretty solid foundation with Professor Lupin!" Kefira blurted out. Her eyes widened as she realized that it wasn't just a thought in her head but that she had actually said it out loud. There were gasps and whispers and as she looked up, she would have been dead if looks could kill. The deadliest glare had reached the man's face as she mentioned their third-year professor but quite frankly, Kefira didn't regret saying it.

The other professors may have been a joke in a lot of ways, but Professor Lupin had been wonderful and taught them plenty during his time. There was no need to downplay the man who had given Neville his first boost of confidence in the class. She didn't want Professor Snape to steal that away from him, especially not after how far Neville had come.

"Ten points from Gryffindor, next time, raise your hand, Miss Walsh. I'm not sure what Professor Lupin or the others allowed you to get away with in previous times, but it will not be tolerated now."