Chapter Five

There came a frantic pounding upon the thick wooden door causing Godric Gryffindor to look up from the parchment rolls that were resting before him on the table

There came a frantic pounding upon the thick wooden door causing Godric Gryffindor to look up from the parchment rolls that were resting before him on the table. Noting how late it was, the man grew concerned and confused as to who was knocking at his chambers so late at night. He walked over, making sure that he was armed and ready with his wand. The knocking became even more frequent and louder as he neared the door. Just as he went to open it, he heard a familiar voice call out his name.

The door swung open, revealing Merlin standing on the other side, the man's eyes full of distress as he faced his friend.

"Merlin, what brings you about at this hour?" Godric asked, welcoming him inside.

"I cannot stay long, Godric, but there is something you should know before I depart," Merlin said. Godric had hardly ver seen the man in such a frazzled state, he could see the wizard's hands shaking which was so unusual. Normally, Merlin's hands remained steady as he normally performed his magic without a wand. 

"You appear upset, Merlin, will you-"

"Arthur is gravely ill," He blurted out without letting Godric finished.

"Ill?"Godric repeated. "The cau-"

"Poison," Merlin was pacing back and forth in front of the fireplace. "I know it was Morgana. There is no other explanation. His meal was the only one tainted with the poison, had I not been there, he would have been dead within the hour."

"What purpose does she have going after Arthur if her quarrel is with you?" Godric knew the answer, but he was only asking the question out of anger.

"She knows that Arthur is dear to me," Merlin replied quietly. "For that, she will target him to get to me. Have you spoken with Salazar?"

"Salazar will not speak with me," Godric answered him. "He has stopped speaking with Helga, the only one he will respond to is Rowena. Even so, it is brief and nothing pleasant."

"I am certain that he is upset with me for not taking his side in the matter of the acceptances of muggle borns. For that, he is taking his anger out on by using Morgana-"

"We can not be certain that Salazar is affl-"

"Godric, you know that he is!" Merlin yelled. "You know it as well as I do! The question is what are we going to do about it?"

"Say Nevs," Kefira called out to Neville as the two were outside enjoying the warmth of the afternoon. Kefira was, of course, in her usual spot perched in the tree while Neville was attempting to climb up without any assistance. He was slightly out of practice making it quite for him to climb up, but it was even harder as Kefira distracted him with conversation.

With both feet on the ground, Neville decided to catch his breath as he looked up in her direction.

"Yes, Kefi?"