Chapter XXXV, Lonely.

a/n: TRIPLE UPDATE ALERT! there might be a new one-shot called "Seven Minutes" and there might be a new chapter on "Journey Back Home" about a certain kiss. if you're interested, i hope you have a good read!! 😜

•••

Lauren and Camila fall into a new routine.

A routine that is not full of kisses, laughter bubbling out of their mouths, heart-stopping smiles and stolen glances that make blushes appear on their cheeks.

They see each other, talk about how their day went and linger a bit too long before one of them turns around to go to their bedroom or simply just leave the apartment.

Sometimes it is Camila the one who is turning around because she knows that if she stays just a bit longer, she will end up kissing Lauren.

Sometimes it is Lauren the one walking away because she knows that if she spends a second more with Camila, she will find a way to talk her out of this silly break up and they will be together again.

Lauren knows it and Camila knows it too. Still, the decision of them remaining at least decent roommates is still the better option for them.

It is not until Lauren finds Camila on her own a couple of weeks after their breakup that they really get to talk.

She has been noticing the little improvements in Camila's behavior. She has been noticing the way her smile seems brighter or the way the light seems to have returned to her beautiful eyes. Camila has been even gaining weight and Lauren only notices that because, weeks before —when they were still fighting and together— she did kind of look miserable and skinnier.

Still, a smile manages to curve her lips at the sight of her ex-girlfriend sitting on the couch with a bowl of popcorn in her lap as she decides the next show she should watch on Netflix.

Lauren raises her eyes to the screen, noticing the way Camila lingers a bit on the show Sense8 and she can't help but smile brighter in return.

"That's a really good show," Lauren comments, closing the front door softly behind her.

Camila, in her true Camila nature, jumps startled and turns around, finding Lauren's eyes immediately. She places one of her hands on her chest as if trying to stop her wild heart from beating out of her chest, and Lauren's smile just widens when Camila's cheeks turn crimson.

"You scared me," Camila states dumbly, lowering her gaze to avoid Lauren's eyes.

"I think you should watch it," Lauren ignores the comment, throws her things carelessly in one of the chairs and lands on the spot next to Camila. "It talks about a bunch of things that are really important and the storyline is like, brilliant," she adds, eyes falling on the screen before her. "I don't know how you've never watched it before since I was like, obsessed with it, but you should, Camz..."

"Okay," Camila tells her, watching Lauren's profile intently.

Lauren knows that Camila is staring, but she can't bring herself to look back. "So, um, how have you been?" she asks, occupying herself with the pieces of popcorn that previously fell from Camila's bowl.

Camila takes a gulp of air and releases it slowly, filling up herself cheeks as she breathes out. "I'm okay, I guess," she replies shrugging her shoulders. "You?" she asks then, lowering her gaze to take one popcorn between her fingers and pop it into her mouth.

"I'm alright," Lauren tells her, turning her head to look at Camila's profile. "You seem happier, though."

"I wouldn't say happier," Camila denies immediately, locking eyes with Lauren. "I'm not happier," she states with a strong tone, almost desperate to let Lauren know that what she is saying is the truth.