9. I Adore You

Spotify Story Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/1253372708/playlist/3m0QNm1QPmpL0ejW0vIUxJ

When We Were Young

9. I Adore You

"You're doing it again, Ackles. From your diaphragm. Start again!" I scolded Jensen as I circled him. We were in his living room, as we'd been everyday after school since I agreed to help him with his audition. But he needed more than just a duet partner, he needed help with his singing too.

He had a pretty voice, tone wasn't something you could teach so he already had that going for him. But he kept singing from his head and I knew he had more power in his voice than that and he was going to need it to be able to play Tony and to beat Liam for the part. I had heard Liam sing and he had a natural Broadway voice so it wasn't going to be easy.

But he was improving. His voice was less shaky and he had more confidence with his singing. If he could nail the songs he would have the director falling over herself to cast him. He really was perfect for the role.

"The most beautiful sound I've ever heard...Maria...Maria...Maria...Maria...all the beautiful sounds of the world in a single world. Maria...Maria...Maria...Maria...Maria...Maria...Maaaariiii-"

"Stop!" I interrupted, moving around to stand in front of him. "You're supposed to sound like you're in love with Maria not like she's about to give you a root canal."

He looked annoyed at himself. "I'm trying. It's difficult when I'm thinking so hard about singing."

I moved toward him. "So stop thinking. You know the song, you know the techniques, stop singing the song and feel it. Tony's just met the love of his life and fallen for her on sight. Her name is literally the most beautiful sound he has ever heard in his entire life. It sings to him. Sing with this," I put my hand to his chest, pressing over his heart. "Think of someone special, someone you love, feel it, and sing it."

His eyes changed as he looked down at me and his tongue came out to wet his lips. "Someone I love?" He asked and I nodded in return. "Right, I think I can do that."

I stepped back again, nodding for him to begin. His gaze on me was so intense, all of his emotions were so palpable that I knew exactly who he was thinking of as he began to sing. The words came out with such conviction, with so much feeling that I wouldn't be surprised if Jensen's Mom could feel it from the next room.

And his eyes never left mine. He had figured it out. He found the feelings, and I was the one he was looking at. He finished the song, standing before me breathless and hopeful. I could see what he wanted. He wanted me to reciprocate, to return the feelings he had just expressed. I was his Maria.

But I couldn't. I smiled sadly and reached down to pick up my sheet music, collecting my things together.

"You're leaving." He said. "I'm sorry if I..."

I put my hand up to silence him. "It's almost dinner time. I need to go." I put my things in my backpack and stood, moving towards the door.

"Carmen," He followed me, stopping me at the door with a hand on my waist. "Carmen, I'm sorry."

I turned, his hand falling to my hip as I moved but he didn't stop touching me. "You have nothing to be sorry about. That was beautiful Jensen. If you can do that on Sunday you'll have this in the bag. You can do this."

"I can do anything with you by my side." He put his other arm around me, moving in closer and I moved back, hitting the door behind me.

"Don't Jensen." I looked away, not wanting to see the pain of rejection on his face.