8. I'd Take the Comfort of Comfort Every Single Time

Spotify Story Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/1253372708/playlist/3m0QNm1QPmpL0ejW0vIUxJ

When We Were Young

8. I'd Take the Comfort of Comfort Every Single Time

3 weeks went by and I slowly got used to being alone again. It wasn't as much of an adjustment as I thought it would be. I kept up my usual routine. Go to school, keep my head down, block everyone out, come home, repeat. I barely saw Jensen, and when I did it was only in passing in the hallways. He was fine. He was back to normal.

Normal...

I knew I wouldn't be hard to get over. He and Kara weren't officially back together but I knew it was only a matter of time. They were inseparable. I never saw her on the bus again so it didn't take much to guess how she was getting to and from school. I could lie and say it didn't hurt because it did. It hurt a lot. But it was for the best. It was best for him. And he flourished. His sports was going well, he was voted school captain again. He was doing so well.

I saw him at church but I didn't stick around afterwards, just a passing look as my family and I made our way to our seats. His family were still so nice. His parents greeted me as they always had, with a hug and such kind words. Mackenzie was the most vocal about how annoyed she was that her brother and I had broken up. She hated Kara, and now she was at their house all the time she hated her even more.

Ouch.

I snuck into Jensen's first basketball game, standing by the bleachers by myself, trying my best not to be noticed. And he was amazing. They won and he noticed me as I was leaving. I held his eyes for a few moments, taking him in, the sweat on his face, his basketball singlet revealing his toned arms.

He waved to me, sending me one of his shy smiles. I waved back. "Well done." I mouthed to him and his smile grew.

And then Kara ran over, throwing her arms around his shoulders and I took that as my cue to leave. I didn't see him outside of school or church again until we ran into one another at the grocery store. Caleb and I were picking up a few things for a family dinner that night when I ran into him in the frozen food aisle.

"How can they not have any chocolate fudge brownie? What kind of loser supermarket is this?" I mumbled as I bent down, trying to see through the foggy freezer doors.

"Chocolate Fudge Brownie is the best, although I am partial to Cookies and Cream?" his voice asked from behind me. I didn't even have to look to know it was him.

"It's not a Cookies & Cream kinda night, it's a Chocolate Fudge Brownie night or bust. They're not the same thing, everyone knows that." I stood up, realizing there was definitely none left. "Damn it." I kicked the bottom of the freezer.

I looked over at him, and as usual he took my breath away. He was in his red sweats and letterman jacket. It was Thursday, Lacrosse practice, of course. "Hi, Carmen." He still smiled the same.

"Jensen." I nodded at him. "How was practice?"

"Oh, it was really good, thanks for asking. I think we've got a real shot at winning our division this year. As long as we can all remember the plays it should go pretty well I think, I'm really excited."

"That's awesome. I saw your last game, you're getting really good out there." I admitted and he seemed surprised at that news.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you." He seemed annoyed at that fact.

I shrugged, "Its easy to be invisible when you don't want to be seen. I'm still not good at the whole crowd thing."

He nodded, looking down in understanding. "How are you though? I mean...how are you doing with that?"