3. Forever in Debt to Your Priceless Advice

When We Were Young

Forever In Debt To Your Priceless Advice

I had never been on a date before. Forget that, I'd never even been asked on a date before. But somehow, on my second day in Richardson I'd managed to be asked out by the most popular guy in school. He'd asked me on the Monday and we had organized going out on the Friday night. He had dropped me home as he had all week. He'd also picked me up for school every morning.

I remember the Tuesday. He had come to the door that morning without me knowing. It wasn't until I saw his truck parked in our driveway that I realized he was even there. I had quickly pushed my hair back with a headband, grabbed my bag and hurled myself down the hallway and to the stairs. Both my mother's eyes and Jensen s looked up at my sudden appearance. Caleb appeared from the doorway of his room, pointing at me with humor in his eyes.

"Good Mornin', Carmen." Jensen drawled, his hands tucked into his jeans pockets. Only he could make simple jeans and a t-shirt look so gorgeous. I hate him.

"Good Morning. You're early." I headed slowly down the stairs and he moved, watching my every step with those devastating eyes.

He shrugged and smiled, taking my backpack from me as I reached the bottom step. From that angle I could see perfectly into his eyes and they were shining beautifully at me. "I'm sorry darlin'. I could leave, come back in 20 minutes?"

I shook my head, reaching up to gently brush his cheek. "No it's fine. Do you want a pop tart?" I pushed him back and smiled at my Mom before heading towards the kitchen.

"I love pop tarts." Jensen was following me and I watched him move to sit at the breakfast bar of the Island counter.

"We have Chocolate Sundae, Raspberry, Cherry and Confetti Cupcake." I said to him with my head in the cupboard.

"I'll take a Raspberry please." I grabbed one for him and a cherry for me and opened them, throwing them in the toaster.

I turned to him, slightly startled by the sight of him in my kitchen. My mom walked in, taking a seat at the table where she sipped quietly on her coffee though I could see her smirking into her coffee. "Can I offer you a drink?"

He smiled. "Coffee. Black." He winked and I felt my insides melt. I grabbed 2 mugs and grabbed the coffee pot, filling them up half way. I added some creamer to mine. The toaster popped and I grabbed a plate, throwing his raspberry pastry onto it. I turned to him with his coffee and pop tart and grinned.

"Honey, breakfast is ready!" I laughed placing them both in front of him.

"You spoil me darlin'."he laughed before digging in probably burning his mouth. We ate in comfortable silence then Caleb came barreling into the room.

"Can we help you?" I raised my eyebrow at him knowing what he was going to ask before he asked it.

"You know how I love you right?" Caleb asked and I heard Jensen laugh across from me. I looked at him and he nodded.

"Yes you can get a ride." I told him, moving to put our dishes in the sink.

"Thank you, let's go." Caleb was already out the door.

"Bye Mom. I'll see you after school." I have her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"It's nice to meet you again Mrs. Guilford." I watched my mother blush as Jensen pressed a sweet yet hurried kiss to her cheek as I had before he grabbed my hand and my backpack and dragged me out to his truck

"I think my Mom is a little bit in love with you!" I laughed as we ran to the truck. He opened my door as he had the day before and helped me in, putting my bag down by my feet.