1. Love Is After You

a/n: Heres a link to a Spotify Story Playlist, It will be updated as we go along: https://open.spotify.com/user/1253372708/playlist/3m0QNm1QPmpL0ejW0vIUxJ

When We Were Young

Love Is After You

I stepped out of the car, staring up at the large, pristine white, church building that sat before me. I sighed heavily, feeling the knot form in my stomach and the familiar anxiety rise in my chest. Oh I can't do this. I can't do this again.

"Stop that, Carmen. You'll be fine." My twin brother Caleb said coming to stand by my side as he smacked my hands down from where I had been nervously wringing them in front of me without realising. I huffed, smoothing down the front of my pale pink dress. "Besides, Dad promised this would be the last move before we finish high school. Only one more year and we're out of here, Sis." He grinned widely, throwing his arm casually over my shoulder.

"Hurry up you two, we're going to be late!" Mom waved her hand at us, her forehead lines appearing harsher since she was frowning. I watched my Father take the hand she had been waving at us in his own and her face immediately softened. I smiled. He was always the calm one in our family. Caleb was the extrovert, Mom was the worry-er and I was the emotional one. Train wreck more like. Dad was our rock and we had spent our childhood following him around the country for his job.

But this, our senior year, we were promised we could stay and we'd somehow found ourselves in Dallas, Texas. Richardson to be exact. We'd never been to Dallas. It was Sunday so that meant church and family. The one day off a week my father was able to spend with us. My parents had raised us in the church. They would say it was the only constant they could provide us with, the constant of faith. We were never part of a church community for long but it gave us a sense of safety and it gave me a place to sing.

Singing was something I kept for church. I didn't have the guts to sing anywhere else. Living in so many different places and failing to make friends didn't make it easy to show anyone I came across who I was or what I could do. Not that I would. So I kept it for praise.

Caleb and I followed my parents up the church steps and quickly through the double doors that were only seconds away from being closed. We were the last ones in.

"Come in, come in. There are some seats up here in the second row, you're right on time." The minister called through his microphone, waving us forward. I gasped at the various faces that had turned to witness our arrival and hid behind Caleb. "Come in, don't be shy. Welcome, welcome."

My parents ushered us into the row and I sat down as quick as I could, keeping my eyes trained down as my brother took the seat beside me. I felt the heat rising in my cheeks and I shook my hair to fall around me like a safety curtain. The service started and I had just gotten myself calmed down when we were asked to stand and sing. The familiar piano cords of 'Lord I Lift Your Name On High' rang out through the sound system and I clasped my hands in front of me, running my thumb along my skin comfortingly as I so often did.

I began to sing, letting the words and music flow through me. I let my eyes close and my head fell back as I sung. And then I felt it. The overwhelming feeling that someone was watching me. I opened my eyes and turned to my brother. No, not him. He was watching the band play as were my parents.

I then turned to my left, my singing stopped and my breath left my body in a gasp. I frowned at the boy standing next to me, towering over me from his great height. My reaction made him smile. As if he could look any more attractive. His green eyes sparkled at me as he leaned even closer in towards me, invading my personal space without permission. And I was so struck dumb I let him.