Chapter 18

LOGAN'S POV

I haven't seen Haywood transform since my whoops-a-daisy incident, which I'm mostly thankful for, but it's kinda a bummer that this means the figure of the mysterious green-eyed girl who stole my heart dies with her as well. I've been kinda disturbed by the extent that I could be so smitten with her simply based on her looks... based on a stranger's outer appearance for that matter, considering I couldn't recognise her on the bus.

Am I THAT superficial?

Maybe that's why none of my relationships have worked out. Maybe I've been listening too much to Kraken down there instead of my brain, and my heart's been taking all the damage. Maybe it's high time for a mid-term review of my evaluation criteria. After I finish that incredibly vicious Econs essay and tutorial, Chemistry tutorial, Physics lab report, 5km run and 2 hours of stick work that is.... Argh, screw that, girls are the last thing I should be thinking about. School is hectic enough with Ice Hockey and Floorball trainings occupying 6 days in a week. Focus, Logan, focus. Nationals are coming in 2 months, ain't nobody got time for chicks. Or anything else for that matter.

==

"Longan, that's not what opportunity cost means." Haywood says as she peers over my hastily scribbled answer. "Did you not read the definition?"

"I did." I say through gritted teeth. Shit, I got it wrong again? It's almost time to submit my Econs homework.  "Opportunity cost is the value of the next highest valued alternative use of that resource, isn't it?"

"Ok, that's the right definition. So what is the opportunity cost if Mr. Mars decides to invest his $50,000 to build a Snickers factory?"

"Uh, $50,000?"

"No, no, NO! Do you really have longans for brains?" Haywood wrings her hands around in annoyance and looks like she's ready to throttle me while Chad and Tim look upon my predicament in amusement. "Key word here is alternative. I'm not asking what the resource is!" Damn Haywood is really fierce as a tutor. She's like a female Coach Landon. Is it strange if I say I'm kinda enjoying this? 

"Ok, McDonald, I'm going to explain this in YOUR lingo, alright? Please listen carefully."

"A'ight."

"Say you have 5 girls who want to date you."

"Oh, I can totally relate to this example."

"So if you date Girl A, you can't date the rest yea?"

"Well, it really depends on how clingy she is."

Chad and Tim chortle. Haywood, on the other hand, simply raises an eyebrow and rewards my smart aleck reply with a sharp smack on the arm. 

"Yea, no, one is enough trouble." I say hastily.

"Exactly. So it means you give up the other girls, yea?"

"Sadly."

"So out of the 4 you give up, let's say you like Girl B the most. She will be the opportunity cost. She will be the most precious option you have to give up because you chose Girl A."

"Ohhhh. I think I get it now."

"Really?" Haywood throws me a skeptical look.