Chapter 14

LOGAN'S POV

"Longan you ok?"

"Uh. Yea." I say, determined not to look up. Instead I concentrate on untying the laces on my new Asics Gel blades. They're an eye-catching electric blue flecked with orange - limited edition. Was on the waiting list for almost three months and dang was I happy to receive the email confirmation I tracked the delivery all the way to my doorstep. Can I spare these precious babies another glance over Ms Bewitching Haywood? Of course I can.

"That's great to hear. Anyway, your shoes are so striking!"

Don't fall for it Logan.

"Of course, I have great taste."

"Sadly that talent only applies to picking shoes and sticks."

What?

I look up sharply and meet the dark, dark eyes of the original Haywood, who's picked up my $230 Unihoc stick and begun pushing a beige ball around. There's no trace of make-up whatsoever, as though she never transformed.

"You...you're back?" The words tumble from my mouth before I could swallow my curiosity. Not that I'm complaining, I'm quite glad I can look at her properly without getting charmed or befuddled... Like what happened on the bus this morning. And the whole dance incident.

The dance, oh, the dance. It was a bloody fiasco that's what it was. I was so distracted and enamoured by her new face that I... I don't know man, I...I got a boner. I mean these things usually come and go randomly, and they're generally rather manageable but that particular one was a hell of a monster, the kind you get once in a couple of years and have absolutely no idea how it happened.

==

"Longan you ok?"

Haywood pauses mid-dance, tip-toes and presses her palm on my forehead, her fingers accidentally caress my fringe, bringing a new surge of blood to my face and a tingle down my spine.

"You're really flushed. And a little hot as well." She removes her hand and places it on her own forehead to gauge my temperature. I suppress the urge to grab her hand and place it where it belongs - on me.

"I'm always hot."

"Clearly the heat has gone to your brains." She says dryly.

Don't look at her Logan.

But I can't. This is sweet sweet agony. I love how well she fits in my arms and wonder how well she'd fill that empty crater in my heart Jenny left behind... but this isn't Haywood. This is some shiny new cover she's put up to not deal with the broken part for now - it's some weird extreme reaction Tyler's words incited. I am not falling for this trap.

And as hard as I tried to focus on the obvious, the stir Haywood created in my heart creeps its way down to my loins. As I feel my blood detour from its usual route around the body and course downward, what little remaining blood in my system is showing prominently on my already tomato-red face.

"Shut up, I'm fine." I snap, grabbing her slender waist to lift her up in some warped dance move. Caught by surprise (Haywood has shit memory when it comes to dance), her hand brushes my inner thigh awaking my little brother.

Shit, shit, shit. Not now. Please not now.

It's no use. The Kraken has smelt its prey and will not be subdued without a fight. As it cranes its elongating neck, sweat starts to form on my hands. I have to fixate my mind on something else. Fast.

"So, uhm, how long did you take to do your make-up last night? Oh, uh, I mean this morning?"

"Do you like it?"

It's growing.

"Yea, no."

"Is that a yes or a no?" Haywood's eyes twinkle in amusement.

It's still growing.

"What do you think?"

"I think you're answering my question with a question cuz you don't wanna admit you like it."

It's full length now.

It's the oldest trick in the book to snare the Kraken, so I deftly and inconspicuously tuck the Kraken along my belt, where it lay there engorged and eager to spring out for an attack.

I wonder if she knows. That smile on her face is a tad too cheeky.

...

You know what. I can't do this.

I run for the hills. Told her I needed to poop or something along those lines, but I'm not sure if she bought it. Ran to the toilet, washed my face and did 50 push ups straight. Only then did the Kraken sink under the horizon of the ocean belt and disappear.

==

"Yea, I was just... experimenting and having a bit of fun." Haywood continues, struggling with my stick, which is clearly too long for her to handle. "I can't say for other times, but I'll always be me during trainings."

"How about lesson time?"

"For me to know and for you to find out." Haywood says, returning me my stick. "See you in class tomorrow Longan."

And with a swish of her black hair, she was gone.

***
A/N: My gawd this book is at 400 reads and has over 50 votes! 😱😱😱 Thanks to the loyal readers who've been following, y'all really keep me going. 😢😍💋