Chapter 2

It's 7.45am. I cram a piece of white bread in my mouth, grab the flask of home-made coffee Ma brewed and rush to the bus stop, where Tasha is seated, tapping her feet impatiently.

"'bout time Haywood. Were you trying to solve a hundred Sudoku puzzles before attending school?" Tasha gripes, pulling me down to sit beside her. Tasha, one of my closest friends since middle school, is not a morning person. According to her most recent Facebook quiz, her spirit animal is a hyena - a pretty accurate description considering she's nocturnal and carnivorous. "Oh my gawwwwwd, I'm soo tired. Whoever came up with the concept of morning assemblies should be lynched. Anyway, how come you're late?" She yawns into the back of her hand.

"Make a guess."

Tasha closes her pretty grey eyes and goes into deep thought. "Hmmmmm..."

I fish my phone out of my skirt pockets while waiting for Tasha's reply.

No notifications.

My heart sinks a little. Oh well, it's been four years and he's never initiated a conversation. I should be used to this by now. And so, as usual, I start the ball rolling.

==

TYLER <3333

Heyyaa Tyler!

Can't believe we're finally attending the same sch! :)

His reply is almost instantaneous. As if he'd been waiting for my message to pop up. I sigh and smile stupidly at nothing at all.

Oh, stop overreacting girlie, he was probably just using his phone.

Hay, wood.

Yea, feels a bit surreal doesn't it?

We're in high sch now.

Yes, Tyler, I get to see you everyday now. That sure is surreal.

Oh my god, stop fantasizing about him, Haywood! You're in the science stream and he's in the arts stream. You guys won't have a single class together.

You're right, other voice in my head. WE MUST HAVE THE SAME AFTER-SCHOOL ACTIVITIES THEN.

Girl, you cray cray man.

What activities you gon join?

Sticking with band?

No.

Was thinking of joining sth else.

No. Oh no. Oh no no no. He's not joining band?? Shit, band is probably the only activity I can get into. How am I supposed to see him on a regular basis then?

Maybe CSC.

CSC as in community service club?

Yep.

But... that's the hardest club to get into. All the med kid wannabes flock there to boost their resumes. I'm never gonna make it in even if Tyler does.

==

I get jolted from my silly inner monologue when I feel cold slimy goo ooze down my hand slowly.

"Shit, Tasha! You drooled all over my hand!"

Tasha doesn't reply. Her strawberry blonde hair is splayed over my shoulder as she continues in her deep slumber, unperturbed by my shouting. Why am I not surprised? Old Principal Stretford once caught her drooling during the school song while standing up. He was so impressed she managed to not quiver throughout that he didn't give her detention.