Chapter 39: Leaving Wonderland

CHAPTER 39: LEAVING WONDERLAND

"Well, I guess this' it then," Andy said with a sigh as everyone stood around in the throne room, a few people off in their own group conversations. "Guess we're all going home today."

Matt was currently talking to Gates and Zacky about something, Ash talking to Jinxx as Alex lounged on the throne, clearly not really feeling like joining in on any of the conversations. Chris looked at Andy briefly from where he was next to him before he looked over to Alex, crossing his arms.

"Alex doesn't seem to be too happy with everyone leaving," Chris said, Andy following his gaze to where Alex was sprawled over the throne.

"I think he'll miss everyone once we leave in a few hours or so," Andy said, Chris nodding in agreement. "He seems to have taking a liking to everyone and now we have to leave."

Chris nodded again, looking to Andy properly now, Andy returning the look as everyone else continued to talk.

"Time goes by at the same rate down here and up top doesn't it?" Chris asked.

Andy gave a nod this time. "Yeah, so Matt and the others have been gone for nearly eight years both here and there. You've been gone for months."

Chris sighed, going back to looking over at Alex who was still sulking.

"Dunno how I'm gonna explain to people why they haven't heard from me in nearly six months and I haven't been home at all," he said, Andy shrugging and following his gaze again.

"Honestly Chris, I dunno," he said. "You're gonna have to figure that out for yourself I'm afraid."

Chris gave a nod, trying to think of a decent explanation. Hopefully he'd get an idea before he got back home or someone dropped in to see if he was home. He probably had millions of missed calls and messages that'd gone unanswered that he was going to have to deal with when he got back to the surface.

"I should go say goodbye to everyone that's not going with us," Chris said to Andy who gave a nod. "Ash won't let me leave unless I say goodbye to her and I should go talk to Matt before I leave too."

"Yeah, I should probably do the same," Andy sighed. "Just can't wait to be able to go home for a good while. I'm sure Juliet can't wait to get home; been a while since she's left Wonderland."

Chris gave a nod, Andy smiling a slight bit before Chris headed over to where Ash and Jinxx were talking. He halted next to Ash, both her and Jinxx looking to him.

"Chris, hey," Ash said, a smile on her face. "I assume you haven't come over here to say you're staying, have you?"

Chris smiled in amusement.

"Afraid not," he said. "Came over to say goodbye to you guys actually."

Ash gave a nod, knowing that this was going to happen sooner or later; there wasn't anything that could be done and Chris would be leaving within the next few hours.

"Well it's been fun," Ash said, Chris smiling again, getting a bit of a smile in return. She pulled him into a hug. "Not gonna be the same without all of you here."

She let him go, Chris looking at her as she returned his gaze with a sad one of her own.

"I'm sure everything will be fine down here, ok?" Chris said, Ash shrugging. "You'll keep everything under control."

Ash gave him a bit of a smile this time, though the sadness was still on her face.

"I appreciate the confidence you have in me," she said. "If anything happens and I need help I'll probably come knocking on your door."

Chris gave a bit of a laugh, the smile staying on Ash's face.

"Alright," he said. "Anyway, I'm gonna go say goodbye to a few more people and then I'll probably be heading off. You take care of yourself, ok Ash?"

"You too Chris."

Chris nodded briefly before going over to where Alex was still on the throne, minding his own business. He looked up as Chris came to a halt in front of the throne.

"You're leaving, aren't you?" Alex asked, the sadness on his face and in his voice as he looked at Chris.

Chris gave a nod. "Afraid so."

"I don't want you guys to go," Alex said, pouting and crossing his arms as he stayed on the throne, clearly unhappy with everything that was going on currently.

"I know, but you'll be fine down here without us," Chris reassured, Alex shaking his head stubbornly. "You've got Ash here with you; she's not going anywhere and I know you like having her around."

Alex gave a bit of a shrug, making Chris sigh.

"Just make sure you stop in once in a while?" Alex asked, Chris looking at him as Alex looked at him sadly. "Please?"

"We'll see what happens," Chris said truthfully, Alex giving an understanding nod. "You look after Ash for me, ok?"

Alex gave another nod, a bit more of a happier look on his face this time. Chris gave him a bit of a smile before heading over to where Matt was still talking to Gates and Zacky.

Matt looked away from his conversation as Chris stopped with the three of them.

"Chris," he greeted, Chris nodding back in return. "Come over to join the conversation?"

"Came over to say goodbye," Chris said, Matt giving a nod. "Didn't think I should leave without saying goodbye to you first."

"Well I appreciate it," Matt said. He indicated to Gates. "Apparently he's leaving today with you and Andy so we were just talking a bit before he decided to leave us for a few days."

"Probably be more than a few days," Gates said, all of them looking to him. "Depending on how everything goes for us all really. Dunno when the next time I see you guys will be."

Matt gave a shrug, arms crossed.

"Y'never know; either way I'll see you sometime."

Gates gave a nod and Chris looked to Matt again.

"So any plans on whatcha gonna do for a few more days down here before you head home?" he asked, Matt looking to him.

Matt shrugged.

"Gonna head back over to the domain we used to reside in," he began, Chris nodding to indicate he was listening. "Probably board it all up and close it up for good so that no-one else can find it or get inside while I'm not here. Last thing I want is someone destroying the place; all the hard work that was put into it. We were gonna stay there for a few days until we head home; Val, River, Zack and myself anyway. Close it all up and then go home when the time comes."

Chris gave another nod.

"Sounds like you have it all planned out," he said, Matt shrugging again. "I really hope everything works out for you Matt; all of you."

"I appreciate it," Matt said, his tone grateful. He put his hand out in a non-threatening, friendly manner. "You take care of yourself Chris. Maybe we'll run into each other down the road again one day."

Chris shook his hand, Matt giving him a bit of a smile.

"You too Matt; look after yourself and your family."

Matt gave him a nod, letting his hand go. Gates sighed, looking to Chris.

"Just let me know when you, Andy and Juliet are ready to head out," he said, Chris nodding. "I'm ready to go whenever you're ready to."

"We shouldn't be staying for much longer," Chris said. "Once we've said our goodbyes to everyone we should be ready to head out. I'll come getcha when we're about to go."

Gates gave a nod.

"Sounds good; just come find me," he said. "I shouldn't be going anywhere before we go home."