Chapter 18: Metallic

CHAPTER 18: METALLIC

Zacky looked over as the door shut, Gates wandering over to where they were. Jinxx was over at the table, looking over the bits and pieces he'd salvaged from the soldier.

"You called?" Gates asked, halting in front of Zacky who was standing next to the deactivated soldier.

Zacky gave a nod, indicating to the soldier next to him.

"Need your help with deactivating the other three," he said, Gates looking a bit unsure about it.

They'd brought back all four of the soldiers that Heidi had had with her when they'd managed to capture her; they'd only deactivated one of them for now, as Jinxx had decided they weren't really much of a threat. Now though, they just wanted to make sure that nothing was going to happen, as Heidi was still in the building, even if she was locked away in the dungeons.

She was still rather unpredictable and they didn't know quite how they were controlled.

"Why do you need my help?" Gates asked seriously, following Zacky over to the first of three soldiers, Jinxx still working on whatever he was working on with the pieces.

"Well you're just here for help in case I hit the wrong thing while trying to deactivate them," Zacky said, Gates understanding now. Zacky indicated to the chair that was with the first one that Jinxx had been tearing apart. "Grab me the chair; can't reach from here."

"Yeah well they're not exactly short soldiers," Gates said, Zacky smiling in slight amusement. "Makes it harder to access their inner workings if you can't reach. Also, you're not the tallest anyway."

Zacky smiled again, Gates giving him a smile in return as he grabbed the chair and came back over, placing it down.

"Just keep a close watch in case I manage to fuck it up," Zacky said, positioning the chair so that it was correct. "Don't particularly wish to get myself killed while trying to deactivate one of these pricks."

"We any closer to finding out how they work?" Gates asked, standing close and watching as Zacky started trying to get the front of the soldier's chest open. "Any progress?"

Zacky gave a shrug, forcing the front plate open as Gates watched.

"That's what Jinxx is currently working on," he said in response, leaning forwards and trying to get something within the solider, most likely to deactivate it. "We've taken out a few parts and he's seeing if he can figure it out before we go pulling more and more out of them. We'll probably completely dismantle that one so we know exactly how it works."

Gates gave a bit of a nod, not saying anything in return and just watching as Zacky worked on deactivating the soldier.

"Just be careful with that Zacky," Jinxx called, making Gates look over to him; he was still studying one of the pieces. "There're a few pieces you probably don't wanna touch; might accidently activate it if you're not careful."

"Note taken," Zacky said back, still concentrating on what he was doing. "If I set something off you'll know; that's why Brian's here to help. He'll stop it before it gets too far and tries to kill any of us."

"Thanks for the confidence," Gates said, rolling his eyes.

Zacky gave a shrug, moving back from the soldier, clearly finished with deactivating it. He looked to Gates.

"One down, two to go."

'~'~'~'~'~

Carla just watched as Maria paced back and forth, thought on her face the entire time.