Chapter 2: Regrets

CHAPTER 2: REGRETS

"So how're we gonna make ourselves an Iron Army?" Andy asked, watching Zacky.

Zacky shook his head, tapping the pen on the table in front of him, concentration on his face as he looked at the blank piece of paper in front of him.

"I have absolutely no idea," he said, still thinking as he spoke. "We've gotta get our hands on one of them; see how they work."

"How?" Jinxx asked, Zacky not looking away from the paper, still tapping his pen. "We can't get anywhere near them, let alone get our hands on one. How do you propose we get one to see how it works?"

Zacky shook his head again, clearly coming up blank on what to do.

"I honestly don't know," he said. "But it's our way of matching them; we get our hands on one of those soldiers, we're set."

"Our problem is getting our hands on one though."

"I know." Zacky sighed, leaning back in the chair and slowly shaking his head again. "There's gotta be something we can do."

"Like what?" Andy asked seriously. "Zacky, this' a dead-end; we have to think of something else."

"What? What the fuck can we do besides this?" Zacky snapped, finally tearing his gaze away from the paper to look at Andy who returned his gaze sadly. "We've got nothing that can match Maria and her army; nothing. We're all as good as dead unless we get our hands on one of those soldiers."

"Even if we manage that, once they realise one's missing they'll send the rest and that's when the attack will start," Jinxx spoke up. "We don't know when they're planning on attacking and we might not even have time to see how they work; we're literally grasping at straws here guys."

Zacky slammed the pen down onto the table, the other two jumping; he pushed his chair back violently and got up.

"Well when you boys have a better fucking idea, write it down and come find me."

'~'~'~'~'~

"Word on the street is that you'll be down here for a while."

Gates looked over as Zacky stopped on the other side of the cell bars.

"Well hey," Gates said, not moving from where he was uncomfortably sitting against the back of the cell, the stone cold, even through his shirt. "Didn't think you still existed; nice to know you do."

"Yeah I know; I'm sorry," Zacky apologised, hands in pockets as he stayed where he was. "This' the first time Vic's allowed anyone to come down and see you; y'know how he is."

"Yeah, I do."

Zacky sighed, looking at Gates who hadn't moved at all; he was still sitting against the cold wall.

"Look man, I'm gonna try convince Vic to letcha outta here," he said, Gates rolling his eyes as he finally shifted a bit. "You shouldn't be down here and we need you."

Gates gave a shrug, not saying anything, making Zacky sigh again.

"C'mon man, don't be shunning me like that."

"Give me one good reason not to."

"Because we're friends; we're family," Zacky said sadly, Gates looking away. "Please, just let me talk to Vic and we'll getcha outta here."

Gates shook his head. "Vic won't listen; he's not about to listen to you or anyone else, especially about my case. He's gonna leave me here to rot in the cold, dark dungeons and you'll all be fucked. You all need me and he knows it; he's setting you all up for failure."