Chapter 21: Saving Lives

CHAPTER 21: SAVING LIVES

Andy rushed over to Jinxx, Juliet with him.

"We clear?" he asked, Jinxx giving a nod and wondering what he was planning. Andy looked to Juliet. "We dunno if they're still alive or not; think you can help?"

Juliet gave a nod. "I'll do what I can."

Andy nodded in response, opening the door; he could see the other two right at the end of the stairs. He indicated for Juliet and Jinxx to follow him as he headed down at a rather quick pace.

"Zacky?" Andy called cautiously.

Zacky looked over from where he was with Gates who wasn't moving. He had his arms around Gates' shoulders, Gates right against him.

"Andy?"

Andy stopped at the end of the stairs with them, crouching down in front of him as the other two came down the stairs, Juliet being rather careful.

"How the hell did you guys get past that?" Jinxx asked seriously, Zacky looking to him.

"Luck," he said in response, keeping his hold on Gates who still hadn't moved. "I managed to shield us both in and the soldier couldn't get through the flames; I assume it was due to the heat. It gave up pretty quickly when it realised we were encased in."

"Is he still alive?" Jinxx asked.

All Zacky did was shrug, looking rather upset as he kept Gates against him. Jinxx carefully took Gates' wrist, holding it as he checked for a pulse. Everyone stayed quiet as Jinxx concentrated, obviously trying to feel something in order to tell if Gates was still alive or not.

"I can't tell," he ended up saying, carefully placing Gates' arm back down. "I can't feel his pulse but that doesn't mean he's gone just yet; we might be lucky."

Andy looked to Juliet as Zacky refused to let Gates go.

"Can you do something?" he asked, Juliet looking to him.

She gave a nod. "I can try."

Andy nodded in return as Juliet turned her attention onto Gates. She took his hand, holding it as she shut her eyes, the concentration on her face the whole time. Jinxx looked to Andy for an explanation.

"We found out she can heal people," he began, interest crossing Jinxx's face as Juliet continued to concentrate. "She can't heal herself but she can heal others; if he's not already gone there's a chance she can help him."

Jinxx gave a nod as Juliet opened her eyes and looked to Zacky, keeping a hold of Gates' hand the whole time; Zacky just returned the look, though a lot sadder.

"He's still here," she said. "Barely, but he's still with us; he won't be for much longer but for now he's hanging on."

"Can you help him?" Zacky asked desperately. "Please."

"I can try," Juliet said, Zacky nodding. "That's all I can do; I can't guarantee he isn't too far gone. If he's too close to the Reaper I may not be able to help him."

"Just please, do everything you can."

Juliet gave a nod. "I will; I promise."

'~'~'~'~'~

"A bit further!" Chris shouted, Ash and Alex working on getting the soldier the last few steps into the arena.

There were a lot of frightened citizens out of the way, making sure they weren't about to get caught up in the mix; in the fight. The soldier swung at Ash who managed to jump back out of the way, Alex attacking the soldier's arm, clamping his jaws around it, the soldier not liking it one bit.