Chapter 23

"My father is someone who only cares about money, how much profit you're taking in, basically I think you get the gist of it. Back to Wesley, he had gotten accepted into the college of his dream, Brown University, and let me tell you, that school is not easy to get into, so of course, my family was extremely proud of him," He sucked in a breath, continuing this dreadful tale, "My dad was not happy, being the CEO of a major company, he didn't want my brother to go to college because my father had already planned out Wesley's life. He'd go straight to the company after graduating from high school, and he'd take over, earning as much money as he could. You see, college wasn't on my dad's game plan, but he was okay with it, until he figured out what Wesley was majoring in - art. The big athlete that he was, no one really suspected him to love art as much as lacrosse."

Jayce leaned back in his chair, folding his hands together in his lap. Obviously this was such a sensitive subject for him.

"One day, they both got into this huge fight about where my brother's priorities were. I was 12 at the time, so you could say that I had a pretty good idea as to what was going on. Jacob was only 9, and he was a bit oblivious at the time, so he wouldn't really recall on what went on. But that day," His voice shook as he went on," that day is something that I can't forget. I would try to erase everything about it, but I just couldn't get it out of my memory. It's like someone purposely wanted me to keep that day engraved into my head."

I placed my hand on his own, squeezing it gently for support, "I realized that, that day was just not for him. Wesley stormed out, having enough of my father, whom I wasn't surprised at. He drove to his girlfriend's house, to see her – with another guy."

My mouth fell agape, and I felt him tense up, "It was so fucked up too. The guy was on Wesley's lacrosse team, and he knew too! He knew that she was taken, but he didn't give a shit!"

We earned some peculiar looks from bystanders walking through the hospital hallways.

"Who would've thought that Wesley Reynolds, Mr. Golden Boy, would be scolded for following his dream and have his girlfriend of three years cheat on him."

What a fucked up life.

But the answer to the question I had in my head was still left unanswered, "If you don't mind me asking, where is he now?"

"Prison," Jayce said bluntly.

"Well how-"

"Did he end up in there," He said for me.

I nodded with hesitance, wondering whether or not I crossed a certain boundary.

He rubbed his knees with his hands, "There's a time and place for that story."

Why would he even tell me something so personal like that? I've definitely had enough of his family secrets; it's just all – too much.

"So," He began, "do you still think I have a somewhat sane life?"

I shrugged, "No one's life is ever just sane."

He grinned, and questioned jokingly, "Any deep dark secrets I need to know about you?"

I slightly shook my head, not letting my smile to break out onto my face, whilst slipping my hand away from his, "I better get going Jayce, wouldn't want to worry Cameron again."

I stood up, giving him a small wave, and walked into the direction of the elevator's, when I just realized why I actually came back to Jacob's room. Turning on my heels, I bumped into a sturdy chest, "Oomph."

Jayce smirked at me, running a hand through his hair, "My bad."

"I uh, actually I needed to ask you if-"