T W E N T Y F I V E

August 28th, 2016

8:24am

It was the following morning and Dan woke up alone. Eleanor's bedroom was cold, and so was the bed next to him.

He laid there for a while, thinking that she'll come back to bed. 

But she didn't.

He got out of the warm, but also cold, bed and slowly moved out of her room. He can feel his body shivering from the cold air.

He turned his head around the living room door, spotting Eleanor sitting closely by the fire, writing in a journal.

Dan sat on the floor opposite from her, watching closely on what she's writing.

Dan can hear the crackles from the fire, and her brain ticking.

Eleanor stopped and stared at the written paper. Re-reading it a few more times, then pushing the journal across the table and in front of Dan. Her head was still hung low.

Dan grabbed the journal and rubbed his eyes so he could see more clearly. He reads.

Dear Dan,

                     You may have been wondering why I had a panic attack a few days ago, and why I don't talk. It'll be best if I wrote it here instead of my whiteboard is so that I could possibly save this little moment.

So, as you may have noticed. I am mute.

The story behind the reason why I'm mute was life changing for me. So here it goes.

On Christmas Day, 2014. My mum, little brother and I were driving up to Scotland to celebrate Christmas. As we got near Manchester, that's when both our cars collide. Killing my mother and little brother, so it goes.
I survived the crash and was put into a hospital in Manchester. Apparently, I went into a coma for a week. Soon after I woke up, the nurses told me that a drunk driver crashed into the car, killing my mum and brother instantly.

I was happy before.

                                        I had a loving life.

                                                                             But it all went away.

I thought of what was the point of talking, if I had no one to speak to. But after those years of depression, I had thoughts. Thoughts about life and death. 

How it's special when life is created and impact on someone. But it's useless when we die. What is the point of living if I'm useless to the world. I had nobody, I am nobody...

I was afraid to keep on living.

But that's when I met you, Dan. You made me happy. You made me think that I'm special again. 

And that's why I love you, Dan. 

Thank you, for everything.

Tears were welling up in both Dan and Eleanor, Dan threw the book down onto the table and hugged her legs. His head was nestled onto her lap, crying.

Eleanor hunched over and rested herself onto Dan, rubbing her hand across his back, calming him.

'I promise I'll never leave you, El...' Dan muffled, he looked up from lap. Staring into her eyes.

'I love you El'

'I love you too Dan...'