53. Falling

If I had been asked several months ago how I would picture my close future, I would have said that I saw myself studying for my senior year, getting ready for college and to build a new life.

I never imagined that I'd find myself standing in the middle of a destroyed, chaotic airport, with the certainty of the love of my life's death laid in front of my eyes.

***

“Okay, listen, I’ll start again: ‘Harry, I’m sorry for making you leave. You did lie to me this whole time though and you’re an asshole. But I love you too’. How does that sound?”

The exasperated taxi driver shot me the thousandth death glare, parking the car in the huge parking lot I had visited not too long ago. When I understood that all he would do was stare at me judging and not help me with my extraordinary speech, I muttered an awkward “right” under my breath and paid him, before jumping out of the car. It didn’t take me more than a few seconds to look around, acknowledging the busy parking lot full of people who were either leaving, or returning, or waiting for someone and how everyone had an exact reason for being here. Then I started running for my life.

As I had just mentioned, cars were parked everywhere, making it quite a difficult task for the poor driver to drop me off closer to the entrance in spite of the numerous times I had urged him to hurry, so he left me damn far away. So I ran for dear life on my high heels, still wearing my quite inappropriate  for this time of the year blue dress, hoping with all my heart that I wasn’t too late.

Eventually, when I entered the huge building, I was completely left out of breath. But I kept running, too adrenaline-fueled to stop and look at the departures panel, rushing to the closest desk I spotted and asking as I gasped for air.

“C-can you tell m-me, “ deep breath, “where d-do passengers,” deep breath, ”w-wait to get on...on…the flight to…um”

This time, the stuttering wasn’t cased by my lungs’ incapability of getting air into my system. Where on earth din Harry go, tough? Obviously, I had to freaking go on a crazy race of getting here without even thinking of asking where exactly I was supposed to look. Okay, April, remember. The boys left from the town they were in when they had they last concert. Something starting with a P? Was it an S? It sounded strange, like…like this…

“SANKT PETERSBURG!” I exclaimed, proud of myself. The woman behind the desk didn’t quite seem as impressed as I was, giving me a look like she was wondering if I had lost it. I couldn’t blame her though - if a desperate girl with messed up hair, wearing an elegant dress and a psychotic smile as she breathed like some kind of dragon with asthma, I would have intended to send her to the loony bin as soon as possible.

Instead, she told me with a bored voice,

“If you mean the boarding area for the flight to Sankt Petersburg, it’s that way,” she said, pointing to her right.

“Thank y—“ I began, half having already moved from the desk, when she spoke again,

“But boarding was over 15 minutes ago and the plane is about to take off.”

Imagine myself one foot in front of the other, stopped in mid-air, set to walk in the direction earlier pointed by the woman, when I stopped and took a few steps back and looked at her like she was the crazy one.

“You’re kidding, right?” I asked, my wrecked nerves being on the verge of turning into a hysterical laugh.

“Do I look like I am kidding?” she asked with the most monotone facial expression I had ever seen.

My shoulders dropped weakly and I slowly dragged my feet to the huge window displaying the illuminated runway, trying to guess which one it was. Yeah, she definitely didn’t look like she was kidding. And now, since breaking down in the middle of the airport wasn’t the answer, all I had left to do was assuming which was the plane that would take the love of my life away from me.