34 Overlord (Part 1)

A/N: I made a new cover. But now it looks like a sci-fi romance haha. I'm going to give it a try and see how much traffic it delivers.

This chapter (first draft of course) may be susceptible to plot holes. If anything doesn't make sense, feel free to point it out. :) Enjoy!

When Maeyune and Reo arrived inside the operations room, General Soras ushered them back out

When Maeyune and Reo arrived inside the operations room, General Soras ushered them back out. But before they left, Maeyune caught a glimpse over her shoulder at what was displayed on one of the room's large monitors. There was footage of several Wobeck ships hovering in the distance over an expanse of desert. She watched as their black masses descended into an immense canyon, disappearing from the camera's view.

"In here," directed the general, gesturing toward the nearby conference room. When all three of them were inside, he closed the door after them. As Maeyune glanced around, she saw that there were two other individuals who already occupied the room.

Deiyu stood near the head of the room's table, and beside him was a tall, elder man with hands folded in front of him. The man's slender frame was concealed underneath the heavy folds of his sand-colored robe. She saw the faint, pale glow that emanated from his body, and she immediately drew his familiar face from memory.

It was the High Priest from Eno, the city where she and Reo had fought against each other and had consequentially destroyed the city's sun temple.

When she met the elder man's eyes, he smiled and bowed his head.

"It is a pleasure to cross paths with you again, warriors of Yunra and Shivra," the High Priest greeted, his patient eyes glancing between Reo and Maeyune.

Reo gave a curt nod, but Maeyune performed the formal Suolani salute. When she rose from her bow, she met Deiyu's eyes. Hesitation flitted across the commander's features before he glanced away.

She was not surprised to see that he was uncomfortable. The secrets she had forced him to unveil yesterday still left an angry mark inside her. He had kept a terrible truth hidden from her, and as a result, she had delivered her power onto him. At this point, they no longer trusted each other.

She was not sure how she felt about that.

General Soras joined the two men at the table, positioning himself in between.

"Why are we in here?" Reo finally asked, taking note of their isolated meeting.

The general placed three holographic devices on the table, pressing each in turn to activate them. Their holographic screens immediately flashed into the air and rendered frozen images. Both Maeyune and Reo moved forward for a closer look.

The first was an image of the same Wobeck ships that Maeyune had seen in the operations room, their dark shapes drifting over a desert horizon. The second displayed a visual of a forest and a small aircraft seen jutting out above the canopy; she was unsure whether it was leaving or landing.