The Sorting Hat

"Oh my Merlin!" Hermione screamed, running around in circles, staring at the magnificent castle. It was absolutely humongous, built on rocks and magnificent gardens, with fog drifting around it. It gave off the aura of something huge and imposing, but the closer they got to it, the more lively and welcoming it seemed. 

Even the boys were too awestruck to speak. 

"FIRS' YEARS!" A giant man that the trio recognized as Hagrid yelled. "FIRS' YEARS, O'ER HERE!"

The three ran up to him, and he smiled widely as he saw them.

"'Arry!" He boomed, picking Hermione up. 

"No, actually, I'm Hermione," Hermione told him. 

Hagrid put her down and picked Harry up. "Yer mother's eyes, and the rest is yer father!" 

He stared awkwardly at Draco, who stared awkwardly back. 

"Er, Draco, nice to meet ya," he finally said. 

Draco shook his hand. 

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of littleboats sitting in the water by the shore. Harry, Draco, and Hermione were followed into their boat by a red-headed boy. 

"Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. "Right then -- FORWARD!"

"Is it true?" the red-headed boy said. "They're saying all down the train that Harry Potter was in this train. Son of the two who helped defeat You - Know - Who. So it's you, is it?"

Harry nodded. "Hi."

The boy snorted, then took out his wand. "I'll show you real magic."

He cleared his throat, unaware of the trio glaring at him. He grabbed a rat from his pocket and pointed his wand at it. 

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!" The boy stared around impressively, unaware of the trio giggling underneath their breath. 

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" said Hermione, putting on a fake tone of superiority. The boys sniggered, waiting to see what would happen. 

"Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me. Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard -- I've learned all our course books by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough -- I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?"

 "Uh, and my name's Weasley, Ron Weasley," the boy stammered. 

Draco gave a slight cough, which might have been hiding a snigger.

Ron Weasley looked at him."Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask who you are. My father told me all the Malfoy's have blonde hair, pale face, and are You - Know - Who supporters - all of them are evil."

Hermione got up in the boat, which wobbled dangerously. 

"Listen to me, Freckle - Face. You're not allowed to insult my friend that way!" 

"Oh yeah? What are you going to go about it?"

Hermione punched him straight in the nose. 

oOo

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid. 

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." A stern-looking lady stared at them, then came to a stop on Hermione. She smiled a bit before leading them to a huge entrance hall.