Selflessness

I was literally scrolling through books and I was like, 1.1K that's cool. Then I did a double-take when I went back and saw it was this book!. Thank you!

UPDATE: 2.9K *DIES* ILY GUYS

Hermione's POV

"Hermione, Draco" Dumbledore called out to them, not yelling but impossibly loud through all of the fighting. Hermione idly wondered if he had put a Sonorous charm. That would make a lot more sense.

"I need you two to go and face Voldemort," he told them, looking impossibly calm in the midst of the battle.

Both Hermione and Draco just stared at him. 

Maybe he's gone senile. Old age can do that, and he's pretty darn old. 

"You are the only ones who have the slightest chance of defeating him for once and for all," Dumbledore explained, casually flinging a Stinging curse over his shoulder.

"But Professor - " Draco paused to send a Stupefy, "He didn't lose this time. He was just weakened beyond measure. How can we do it? He was only defeated after the whole James and Lily, and Scarhead thing with love." 

"I know now how this is going to work. I cannot tell you, but you must do what feels the best... for all of us. If there's anything Hogwarts will teach, it is to be selfless." 

With that, Dumbledore swept off into the fight.

"What does he mean? He can't possibly expect us - us to face that - that monster!" Hermione quaked, feeling ready to throw up. 

Truthfully, she sounded a lot more confident than she actually felt. Draco saw right through that and shook his head sadly. 

"And selfless? Isn't that supposed to - STUPEFY! - be a Hufflepuff trait?" Draco shook his head.

"Maybe we aren't giving the Hufflepuffs enough credit. I mean, they're probably the ones," she paused to throw a spell. 

" - Who keep peace at our school and without them, our school wouldn't be so accepting. Helga Hufflepuff invited everyone else who didn't belong to our houses, but the houses are so specific! Maybe - well, I don't know - " Hermione started to rant. 

"Mia, I know you're scared - I am, too. But not just for us, we have to do this for everyone. We've changed history enough, there's no way to go back to normal. But we can hope to reset the world in a way that everyone's happy, see?" Draco said, sounding completely confident and honest.

"Oh Merlin!" Hermione half-whispered, half-screamed. 

Draco immediately cast a Shield spell, then hurled a jinx at nowhere in particular. Someone screeched in pain, though Draco was glad to see that it was a Death Eater, not someone on their side.

"Resetting the world! We are responsible for that! We might've killed all the Muggles by accident, or obliterated all the half-bloods and muggle-borns, or - or" Hermione breathed out, looking very alarmed. It seemed like the enormity of the situation had just set in then.

A scream pierced their ears right then, saving Draco from anymore of Hermione's ranting. 

"We've got to help them! Come on!" Hermione raced towards the student, who on closer look, seemed no more than 12.

A cloaked figure was rising in front of the terrified girl, who had her wand ready, but if she were only a second year, no spells she knew could help.

The figure threw off her hood, and everyone gasped. It was Bellatrix. One of Voldemort's most loyal and feared followers. But no one had proof before now, and Bellatrix was allowed to wander free, though she was still deranged as she was in the future.