Preparations

Hermione's POV

"Mother is taking us dress shopping today," Draco shouted from outside her room. "So hurry up Mia!" 

Hermione groggily woke up. It was her fifth day of staying at Malfoy Manor. They had aimlessly wasted the days, going on walks and mindlessly amusing themselves. But the mention of dress shopping brought Hermione back to reality. They would have the ball tomorrow; which meant her real life would start back up; the reality of tricking people and the reality of all the evil in the world and... yeah. 

"Yeah, I'll be down in twenty minutes!" Hermione called back.

She showered, brushed, and dressed quickly, not wanting to keep them waiting for too long.

"Good morning," she breathlessly slid into her seat, her hair all over the place.

"Did you sleep well?" Narcissa politely enquired.

"Yes. I heard we're going dress shopping?" Hermione asked, nibbling on a piece of toast.

"Of course, the ball is tomorrow!" Narcissa exclaimed. "I'm dreadfully sorry that we're going so late. The good dresses must've sold out."

"You remind me awfully of Lily," Hermione smiled.

Everyone froze.

"Mrs. Potter," Hermione hastened to correct herself. She didn't dare to glance up at Narcissa's face, and see what she thought of her slip-up. 

"I do suppose having to tolerate each other for sixteen years does that," Narcissa chuckled lightly.

"So where are we shopping?" Draco abruptly changed the topic. 

"Oh!" Narcissa said. "A most lovely place has been recommended to me, so I'm afraid we won't go to Diagon Alley. Which is fine, as people must've cleared it out by now, you know, because they had to shop for the ball."

"How many people did you invite, Mother?" Draco exasperatedly asked.

"The guest list is right over there, but I'd gauge about... three hundred? It's a small affair, dear. And it was quite sudden, considering you only owled me a few days back. What did come over you, Draco? I never got to ask."

Draco quickly deflected the question by hurrying over to the list.

Hermione read out the names. "Theodore Nott's family, the Weasleys, the Potters - Snape? - Merlin, no - Umbridge, ugh, Parkinsons, the Thomas family - and the list goes on! Merlin!"

"No, dear, I haven't invited Merlin, through he wanted to come," Narcissa called.

Hermione laughed. "Well, this is quite a lot of people."

"Compared to some other balls?" Draco snorted. "No."

"Draco, do not snort. It is uncivilized," Narcissa scolded. "Oh, and the new location of our dress shopping is in America, so do hold on tight.

"America!?" Hermione barely had time to echo, before getting Apparated away.

"And here we are," Narcissa strolled out of the alleyway they had Apparated into. "Cute, no?"