Marauding Around

Draco's POV

"Mate, you've got to prove yourself if you want to become a honorary Marauder," James said, seriously.

"Even to be honorary? I thought that just meant I'm not really a Marauder, though" Draco asked, raising an eyebrow.

"But if you're going to take part of our crimes - excuse me - pranks, then you have to prove yourself," Sirius chimed in.

Draco was hesitant. He wanted to get back and research with Hermione. "You know, maybe I'll just - "

"You have to do this, I'm serious!" James exclaimed. 

Everyone stopped moving.

Three seconds passed. 

"That," Sirius said very quietly. "Is the worst impression of me I've ever seen."

And everything exploded.

"Okay, what do I have to do?" Draco asked once the commotion had died down. 

"First task! Find the kitchens. Oh, and bring back snacks. A lot. I'm hungry." Sirius stated simply.

"No, you're Sirius," James shot back. 

"Bloody Merlin," Sirius sighed. "Got it, Draco?" 

"That's all?" Draco smirked.

"Yeah, now move along!" James urged him, snickering. 

"Alright," he winked at them. "I'll be back before you know it." 

But after a few seconds of thinking, Draco realized that this would be harder than he had thought.

He stopped a random 7th year, meaning to ask her where the kitchens were. After all, the Marauders never said he couldn't have help. 

Only then did he see the face of the 7th year. 

Narcissa Malfoy - or Narcissa Black. 

Mother. 

"What?" Narcissa asked, her voice disinterested. 

"Uh... er, um." Draco tried to form coherent words. "Mo - um, Narcissa, right?"

"Look, transfer student, I already have a Hogsmeade date for Saturday and Sunday! Alright? Go look for another girl!" Narcissa shook her head in disgust. "There are plenty of beautiful girls in Hogwarts. My friend, Primrose, needs a date, actually. You're good-looking enough to be hers, so should I tell her to find you?" 

Wait...

She thought - 

"Merlin, no!" Draco screeched. 

"Excuse me?" 

"No, no, that's - uh, that is to say... I have a girlfriend? So, uh, yeah, no?" Why was he talking in question form?

"Oh, well. What did you stop me for?" Narcissa seemed eager to get away from him.

Draco froze. 

Why did he stop her?

One second ticked by.

Then two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Six.

"Hello?!" Narcissa seemed angry now. "Are you an idiot? No, don't answer that, it's obvious." 

"Kitchens?" Draco's voice was weak. "Do you know where they are?" 

"No." Narcissa moved around Draco, walking away.