The Calm Before the Storm

In the Past

Hermione's POV

In her world, if a Gryffindor, especially Hermione Granger, kissed Draco Malfoy, she would've been burned at stake.

Murdered for being a traitor.

Shunned for being so inconsiderate of house prejudice.

But. But. 

This wasn't her world.

That's why Hermione was allowed to not regret the kiss one bit. She was allowed to say yes to Draco who blushed and asked if they could date for real. None of them mentioned that this would all be thrown out of the window when they went back. This wasn't their world, but right now, it was the only world that existed. 

That's why Hermione walked into the library happily, inhaling the scent of old books. She was about to head for her customary table in the back whee usually no one disturbed her, when she saw red hair. Her first thought was Ginny, then she remembered with a horrible pang of sadness that she wasn't here. 

What were they doing? They should do their mission, they should go back home, they should do something!

 How could have she forgotten about home so quickly? 

 What was wrong with her - to move on to a new place so quickly? 

She was on the verge of having a mental breakdown when the answer came to her.

Draco. He was still here. He was keeping her in place. He reminded her everyday there wasn't much they could do to help anyone, except make as little as an impact, and work with the Order and Dumbledore. The Order! They had to miss most of the meetings because of school, but surely they could make the one a few days from now?

She was about to run off and tell Draco, when she realized the red haired girl was sobbing. 

Violently.

And that girl Lily Evans.

Hermione sat down awkwardly next to her. Lily wasn't a bad person. And Hermione had to do everything she could to ensure that Harry was born. 

Besides, she missed her. 

"Lily? Are you okay? Do you want to talk?" Hermione asked as gently as she could, smiling a bit as Lily raised her head.

Her eyes were bloodshot from all the crying, but she managed to keep a steady tone.

"Are you really one to ask me if I'm okay? You were the cause of this! Remus and I, the only relationship we had was spy partners, because we knew you were suspicious. Now, because of you, you evil, foul, roach, we've broken up!" Lily practically screamed this part; thankfully the librarian wasn't here or she would've given them detention. The few students that were there glared at them.

Hermione was too shocked to speak. A strange urge to laugh bubbled up, as she remembered punching Draco in third year, calling him some similar names.

Lily breathed heavily, and for a moment something flashed in her eyes; guilt.

"Go Hermione. Bad things only happened when I met you. Being friends with you?" Lily paused for a second, looking like she was going to regret the words. But she forged on, an ice cold look in her eyes. "That was the worst decision I have ever made."

She left Hemione sitting on the table, too full of emotions to know what to say. Draco came in, ready for his study session with Hermione ("Just because we aren't in the right world, doesn't mean we can't get good grades!") only to see her glassy eyed expression, and a furious Lily storming past.