Before the Yule Ball

Hermione's POV 

Hermione didn't know if she was in hell or heaven. For one thing, there were tons of pretty products with nice logos and good scents. On the other hand, there were also fearsome contraptions ("It's an eyelash curler!") and an even more fearsome Lily ready to do Merlin knew what to her. 

Hermione shuddered, plotting ways to escape. When she did her makeup for her last Yule Ball, she simply used a spell that she had stolen from one of Lavender's books. It was a lot easier, needless to say. 

"Getting ready - duh!" Lily ran around, hanging up their dresses and performing an ironing spell on it. 

"But... the ball doesn't start until - " Hermione protested, only to be cut off. 

"Don't be daft, we need time to get ready," Lily started to perform complicated spells on her red hair.

"We could've come up an hour earlier or so," Hermione suggested timidly. 

Lily eyed her darkly. "Please sit down."

 Hermione once again marveled at how close they had become. If Lily had survived - Hermione's throat got tight at this - she and Ginny would've been the best daughter and mother-in-law relationship ever. 

Though, of course, Harry and Ginny weren't married - yet. 

They weren't born either. 

And Lily and James weren't married, too. 

Hermione took a deep breath to steady herself. 

"Should I help?" Hermione smiled at Lily. 

She could put on a show, at least. 

Common Room

Draco's POV 

After Hermione was whisked off to do whatever girls do to make themselves look pretty before balls, Draco hung out with the Marauders. 

He thought he would hate the Marauders, and they would hate him. He was certain his habits about calling people the M-word would come back, and boom, he was the Dark Lord's supporter again. 

But James Potter was one of the kindest people he had ever met, and was nothing like Scarhead, even though they looked practically alike. And yeah, whatever, being kind was lame, but it was also kind of nice to be friends with someone who knew the difference between 'their' and 'they're'. 

 Sirius Black he kind of knew, mostly as the blood traitor - the Gryffindor, and, he supposed, his cousin? Second cousin? But he, like James, was also nice and someone who annoyed Peeves everyday and got them out of doing classwork when he set Flitwick on fire. 

And you're the Gryffindor blood traitor now, Draco reminded himself. Associating with Muggleborns and being in this bloody red and gold house. 

Draco shifted uncomfortably, wishing he could just disappear. But here he wasn't under his father, and the Dark - Voldemort didn't even know he existed. As far as everyone knew, he was a clueless American. 

Draco continued his observation of the Marauders.

Remus Lupin. He was smart and kept the others out of trouble, especially Sirius. Out of all of them, Remus was the one that Draco could relate to the most. They both were being forced to do something he didn't want to do. Him, changing into a werewolf, and Draco, becoming a Death Eater. 

Thinking about this, he covered his blank forearm. He only had wanted to please his parents, but he was too far gone, about to get the mark, and then he would be Voldemort's pet.