Chapter 16

There was a small flash of light, but it didn’t give off the almost happy aura that I felt when Clarissa, Ramon or any of the others randomly appeared and disappeared. It felt almost dark- if there is even such a thing as a “dark aura”. Although, in this case, I really think there is.

                It almost felt like the same thing that I felt during the dream. But it couldn’t be. No. I would not allow that to be true. I sighed, breathing out through my mouth deeply.

                After a slight hesitation I walked up to the door and stared down the object. I felt as though something or someone would just out from behind the thing yelling.  As I stared it down, nothing jumped out, and I felt as though it were safe to pick it up. I was still wary though.

                How on earth could a painting that I done and left at school suddenly appear on my doorstep? I mean, there was probably no chance that someone who was riding my bus could have done it; the bus was just crossing my house now. That means that unless someone ran from their stop to mine, which is highly unlikely, someone else put it there.

                I had a feeling that that someone wasn’t one of my angel buddies.

                *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             

                I was sitting on my bed, staring at my drawing. I felt like there was something missing, but I didn’t know what. There was just something about the background, or something that didn’t seem to quite fit in with the rest of the sketch. Knowing that there was nothing that I could do to fix whatever I felt was wrong didn’t really stop me from trying to fix it in my head.

                I felt them before I saw them.

                As I said before, Clarissa and the others let off more of a happy aura type thing. I didn’t really know what it was, and it wasn’t something that I would like to ask Clarissa about. It just would not feel right to me. Clarissa didn’t speak for a few minutes, and neither did I or the others who were standing behind Clarissa.

                Finally, I looked up from where I was analyzing my drawing. Still unable to figure out what was wrong with the drawing was starting to exasperate me. Clarissa’s eyes followed me as I leaned back on the bed and set it on top of my book bag. I noticed that her eyes lingered for a moment on the drawing, almost as though she wished that I would turn it over and show it to her. That was not going to happen, and I hoped that she wouldn’t ask me to. I didn’t want to say no; if I had wanted her to see the drawing it would had been placed face-up on my book bag, or I would have handed it to her.

                After Clarissa realized that I wasn’t going to turn over the drawing she turned to meet my eyes.  I was leaning back on the bed, propped back on my elbows with one eyebrow raised as I watched her. It was almost creepy how all their eyes managed to meet mine at the exact same time, but they didn’t. That was really confusing and odd for me, and I sighed, shutting my eyes. My cheek was starting to bother me, but I ignored it. My scar was not something that I wanted to deal with right now.

                “What?” I asked hoarsely after I opened my eyes and they were all still watching me.

                It was not Clarissa who answered, even though that was who I had expected my question really had been directed at anyone who would answer it. “Something didn’t feel right, and all of us were together when we felt it.”