Chapter 5

I know that this took a really long time to update, and I apologize for that. I'm working on hte next chapter now, and I hope to get it up tomorrow or the day after.

Please excuse any typing errors, my spacebar isn't working right.

Chapter 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After getting over their initial shock, and I had to get over mine too, Ramon and Clarissa called the others back in.  Together, they all decided that I should go “home”, a word that was not even true to me anymore. I just stood, leaning against the wall, still wondering if I was insane. I kept feeling like this was a dream; that I was going to wake up in the hospital at any given moment. But somehow it all felt too real to be considered unreal.

                Finally, I discovered that everyone was staring me down. Me, being me, flushed bright scarlet, and I flinched away from all the attention. Mentally, I cursed at myself; I really needed to work on how much I flinched- Ramon was already getting suspicious, and I didn’t need that happening. Nobody needed to deal with my problems; they already have enough of their own problems.

                I stood in silence as they told me that I was going home. They also told me several times that I could not tell anyone what had happened here. As if! I wanted to roll my eyes, but I knew that that would not be received very well. When I asked them what to say to everyone they all shrugged. Apparently I was supposed to come up with that.

                Then they all left, all except Clarissa. It was obvious that she was the one in charge now; it had not been so before. She smiled gently at me and told me to shut my eyes. I felt her cool, smooth hand in mine, and then the wind was knocked out of me. Nothing hit me, but I felt like I couldn’t breathe.

                In the next moment, I felt Clarissa’s hand leave mine, and her soft voice whispered, “Good luck, child.” Then she was gone; I could sense her presence leaving mine.

                After a few moments, I opened my eyes. We were in the meadow that I had found Jessica in. It felt like that had happened years ago, but in reality had only been a few days ago. There was nothing really different about the meadow, except that it seemed much happier now without the rain. Silently, I began the long trek home, still wondering what I was going to tell everybody about where I had been. Obviously, the truth was not an option.

(After she has arrived home)

“Scarlett!” The shriek of my name filled my ears as I pushed through the back door. Immediately, I was swarmed with hugs from my mother and Jessica’s family. My dad just stood back, watching me with concerned eyes. He knew that I didn’t want him to touch me, no matter how simple the gesture was.

The police officers cleared their throats and I looked up. “I think it’s time that you give us your story, Scarlett. Jessica has already done so. I’m afraid you’ll have to be able to catch up with everybody later.”

“Of course,” I said while nodding. “But first, what’s the date?” Everybody looked at me like I was insane. “It’s not my fault I was unconscious,” I spat back at them. Their shoulders all relaxed.

                “Today’s date is the twenty-fourth: Three days after we found Jessica in the woods, and three days after you disappeared. Now, please come with me.” I followed him as we walked into my father’s study. He shut the doors behind us, effectively keeping prying eyes and ears from eavesdropping on our conversation. Pulling out a recorder, he indicated me to start speaking. I cleared my throat once and began.

                “I couldn’t sleep. Something didn’t feel right to me, and I’d just had a nightmare. So I decided the best thing to do was take a walk.” I paused, needing to breathe.

                “And you chose to walk in the woods because?” He asked me, startling me out of my thoughts.

                “I don’t know. I- it felt like something was calling me to go there, so I went.” I was going to answer the questions as truthfully as possible. “I found a meadow. Jessica was in it. And that’s where my memory goes all fuzzy.”

                “Try to recall what you can, please,” he said kindly.

                “I remember losing sight of Jessica somehow. One second she was there, the next she wasn’t. Then, something leaned over me, and I think I fainted. I woke up a few days later in the forest, not too far from the meadow. I knew where I was.”

                “Well it sounds like you were very lucky. But somehow I don’t quite believe you. You are going to need to answer some more questions.” And just like that the nice police officer was gone, and replaced with an evil, more sinister one.

                This was going to end badly.

                I walked out of my dad’s office, stunned. I could not tell him many things, and I did not enjoy lying. The officer did not believe me, but there was not much that he could do about it. As he left he handed me his card saying that if I ever remembered anything I should call him.  Nodding I told him I would with a smile on my face, but I knew that I never would.

                My mom was hovering around me, trying to make sure that I was okay. Jessica had left a long time ago; her parents would not let stay. They thought that we needed some alone time as a family. I couldn’t agree with that.

                “Mom, I’m going to go take a shower!” I called down to her, running up to my room. Except, I accidently opened the wrong door. Sometimes I forgot which the door to my room was, and which the door to Sierra’s old room was. Nothing about it had ever been changed, and I was glad for that. I came in here to make sure that I could remember her, but this time it was an accident.

                The walls were painted black with red sponged on swirls on them. All except for one, which was silver with black swirls on it.  Tears fell down my cheeks as I recalled the memory of painting them. Sierra and I had wanted to do it all by ourselves. The hallway had smelled like paint for months afterwards.

                I walked over to her bed, trying my best not to get mud all over her room as I sat down. Sierra used to be so OCD about cleaning. She hated dirt anywhere in her room. I never understood why.

                When I sat down, I didn’t feel the plush comforters that I should have. Instead I felt something hard and uncomfortable. Reaching between the mattress and sheets, I pulled out a small black and gold notebook that read her name across the front.

                “Scarlett! I thought you were going to go take a shower!” My Mom called from downstairs.

                “I’m going!” I yelled back, casting one last longing look at the book on the bed. Nobody would move it; nobody except me came in here anyway. I could look at it later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you like it! Remember to vote/comment/fan. Please tell me if you like it