Chapter 22

Clutching Arthur's arm, I watch with apprehension as the doors to the banquet hall swing open. A loud fanfare begins and we enter the room; my stomach is in my mouth.

The man beside me feels me tense up; "It's alright Guinevere; I'm here with you. Show everyone that beautiful smile that I fell in love with."

I do as he asks, but it does little to subdue the fear. This is the first time I've been in Camelot and now I must make a good first impression in a formal setting. Our first banquet in Camelot's Great Hall, filled with their courtiers and nobles. This is where these unfamiliar people, who will later become my subjects, will make their judgements and get the measure of their future Queen. This is where my future begins.  

We are a few meters into the room now and I am deafened by the roar of applause and cheers. The love and respect they have for Arthur is palpable. The people are glad to have their King home after the campaign with the Saxons. Seeing how deeply their affection runs for him, I feel honoured to be here at his side. Witnessing their King's courage, selflessness and kindness all first hand I have learnt who this man truly is. Now that I am seeing the reaction from the room I know I am not alone in that opinion. The forced smile on my face now relaxes into a more genuine one, which is no longer just for show.  

I spot some of the knights I've become acquainted with as we continue walking and I give them a subtle wave. The cheer with encouragement which increases my confidence a little more. Lancelot is with them too, nearer the front of the crowd; he nods and smiles before averting his gaze; it looks like we are back to keeping a distance from one another. I know it's for the best, but after the night together in the forest, my feelings for him had become...complicated. Being curled up together in his arms, I felt something I haven't felt since our excursion to the woods and in the stables on that stormy day. Yet this time it was different, I guess due to having run and fought for our lives. The way I feel about him has changed; I trust him more than anyone, including Arthur, as well as feeling an even deeper connection. But now is not the time to think of Lancelot or of my affections for him. I am here with Arthur, soon due to be his wife and I have a duty to him and his people. Forcing my gaze past the group of knights, I focus on the top table, at which my father and Morgan are already seated. They too are smiling and applauding, Father is especially enthusiastic in both. In this enormous hall, they seem so small from where we are.  

We keep stopping so that I may be introduced to various members of the court including seneschal Lord Irvine and Chaplain Alden. I also speak with some of the other Knights I had not previously had the pleasure of speaking with; Sirs Bedivere, Pellinore, Tristan and Kay. All of which are completely welcoming, asking of my wellbeing and journey to Camelot, congratulating me on my imminent wedding to their King and such. All offer their services, should I have need of them and wish me a good evening. I thought I may freeze, putting back on my mask of etiquette and forced smile, but they all make me feel so much at ease, that I find myself holding their conversation with genuine attentiveness and interest.  

After pleasantries are observed we finally head towards our seats at the top table, and on the way, I, at last, get to fully take in the room without distraction. It is a huge space, completely dwarfing that of Cameliard's Great Hall. Eight large iron candle chandeliers hang from the high ceiling. The same long windows as I saw in the throne room are along the opposite wall to the doors, with the same terrace suspended in front of them. Tall elaborate candelabras stand lit in each of the windows, which are dressed with flowing crimson drapes. The Pendragon coat of arms hangs in red banners from the ceiling at regular intervals, including one large one hanging on the wall at the back of the room behind where we will be seated.