Chapter 21

I shall never forget yesterday evening. We finally emerged from the never-ending forest to behold the setting sun, which turned the sky a stunning array of pinks, oranges and yellows. Golden clouds lazily made their way across the sky above us in the slow breeze. Before us lay a small valley, which sloped up to a steep hill, atop which was Camelot. I remember my mouth dropping open at the beautiful scene; the sunset, the landscape but most of all the sight of the magnificent castle atop that green hill. It's fortified external walls and taller central structure with corner towers, all constructed of pale stone which reflected the colours of the sky. It was too far away to make out much more detail, but already I could see why Camelot had such a reputation. 

Arthur had given the order to stop and make camp close to where we had exited the tree line. For the whole evening, until the light faded, I just stared at the castle on the hill. I couldn't take my eyes from it. It was so much larger, grander and impressive than Cameliard and that alone made me feel overwhelmed. Our humble Keep was plenty large enough, but I supposed that Camelot had many more residents and a greater court than ourselves. It is also the greatest city in the kingdom and has been the site of many battles, so it was only to be expected to see such a formidable structure. Still, the magnitude of the place, even from this distance, was certainly something. And that something was going to be my home. I didn't know if I was more excited or afraid. 

The following morning, we head out early so that we would reach our destination within the day. The weather is fair; sun shining and above us nothing but clear blue skies. Nature itself seemed to be welcoming us to this part of the country. We set off at a quick pace and maintain this until we reach the bottom of the valley. It is there we have stopped to water the horses and take some rest for an hour before we attempt the gentle but long climb up the hill to the castle. The men are in excellent spirits, which brings a smile to my own face. They are all laughing and smiling, telling each other about the first things they shall be doing once they get within the city. Many talk about their families, lovers and even their favourite taverns. It had been six months or more since most had seen home, so I am so happy for them now that we are so close.  

I look over towards one group of knights, which includes Lancelot, Gawaine and Percival, and they are laughing heartily at something one of the younger men I am not familiar with has just said. The younger man is flushed with embarrassment but is chuckling too. He hides his face by dropping his head into his hands, sending the rest of the men howling. I wonder what on Earth they are talking about. Arthur appears from somewhere behind the group, obviously privy to the conversation. He bear-hugs the young man from behind and says something to him that I am too far away to hear, creating more hilarity. Percival has tears of laughter streaming down his face and Gawaine is led on the ground clutching his ribs. Lancelot has his hands over his face, his shoulder shaking from giggling. I cannot help the corners of my mouth from curling upwards, observing this endearing and fun display of friendship. They all have such a wonderful bond.  

After a little while, we get back underway for the last time. My nervousness from looking at the castle on the hill last night is now outstripped by the jovial atmosphere in our group. Excitement, for the time being, is winning out. It has all been such an amazing and terrifying adventure getting this far, but now I am eager to see what is at the end of it. Warmed by the exchange in the groups of knights, I just want to get there and experience the same connection with Arthur and his men. It seems like such a wonderful family and I cannot wait to be part of it. The few knights I have become acquainted with have already made me feel welcomed into their group, for which I am so grateful. I don't have any siblings so I wonder whether these men will become like brothers to me, as they appear as brothers to one another.