Chapter 9

The few hours between my time with Lancelot and the present had been spent pacing up and down the floor in my chambers. My mind was spinning in circles with thoughts of the handsome knight as well as the revelation of Arthur's love for me. I kept thinking about the repercussions of this knowledge; would things now be awkward between Arthur and me, Lancelot and me or even between Arthur and his commander? What were Arthur's intentions? What do I do if he proposes? Fortunately, before going mad with all of these thoughts, Enid arrives to tend to me before dinner. She picks up on my strange countenance and tries to weed information from me; it's not like me to be reluctant to engage with my dearest friend. After failing in her attempts, she gives me a concerned look before leaving me for the evening. I feel bad for not being so forthcoming, but I can't even make sense of recent events myself let alone try and explain them to someone else.

On my way to the Great Hall for supper, I contemplate how lovely it is lovely now that the room was full during meals, with all the men of Camelot present. The atmosphere is now always a warm and jovial one. Even if I am left without conversation, I am happy to just sit and soak up the atmosphere. On my arrival, I see that the hall is full to bursting, and filled with laughter and happy voices. Long benches stretch across the room, men sit elbow to elbow but not at all uncomfortably so, with enough food to feed double the numbers in attendance. Candles are everywhere and fires are ablaze in both of the huge hearths on opposite sides of the rooms, which all adds to the ambience and creates a warm glow in the room. All for the better as the storm had returned an hour before now and is refusing to be moved onward. When the lightning flashes, the heavy rain can be seen running down the windows like waterfalls. I cannot help but smile to myself at the memory of Lancelot and I racing across the fields in those conditions this afternoon.

Sitting beside my father with Arthur on his other side, as has become customary, since the return of the armies from the battlefield. We enjoy our meals of beef broth and crusty bread with cheese. After being soaked in the icy rain earlier this warms me to my bones, so I am savouring every bite. In fact, I enjoy it so much, once I finish I ask for a second helping. This amuses my father greatly who says that tonight I have the appetite of someone who had been wandering the wilderness for days, not merely riding for a few hours. I don't care; I am content and my belly is warm and full.

As the evening wore on, father grew tired and eventually took his leave. I decide to stay and soak up more of the cosy atmosphere, to ensure the chill from earlier has fully left me. In his absence, I take his seat next to Arthur.

The King bows his head as I sit and smiles; "You look very at home here this evening, Princess."

"This is my home, Your Grace."

Arthur rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly; "Of course, but you look relaxed in such a crowded environment. Glowing even."

"Thank you; I admit I am very much enjoying this evening. Everyone happy and warm, while the weather outside is raging," I reply, relaxing back into the chair and grinning at the man beside me.

"I hear you got caught in it earlier while riding with Sir Lancelot. I hope you do not become ill from the cold."

My stomach drops; how does he know about that so soon? Were we spotted?

Keeping my composure, I reply with indifference; "I'm made of harder stuff of that, Your Grace. Sir Lancelot is a good man; he kindly offered to escort me in the absence of the Horse Master despite his injuries. The weather was fairer when we left, however. "