Chapter 2

After a tense fortnight of waiting, we finally received word that Camelot would honour its allegiance and fight with us, much to the great relief to everyone in Cameliard. Some measure of hope has been restored and the tense atmosphere lifted. Our army had been making a staggered retreat from the battlefield, arriving home in large groups over the last few weeks. Most have now returned and have been reassigned to Cameliard's defences, should the Saxons mount an attack. 

Now another two weeks have passed and the day has finally arrived. Today King Uther will arrive here with his army and, at last, we can consider being rid of the Saxon incursion. Camelot is one of the larger cities in England with a huge population and formidable army. This army was, and is, the pride of England and their skill in battle is legendary.  

In the space of this past month, the city has gone from deep despair to frenzied excitement. Everyone I pass in the Keep is smiling and jolly, busy preparing for the arrival of our esteemed guests. Ushers are running messages in every direction and courtiers rush hither and thither. The scullery is alive with more activity than I have ever seen before and all corridors and halls sports banners of Cameliard's yellow and Camelot's red. Outside of the Keep, it is no different. Banners of every colour line the road from the Keep to the main gate of the city. Our citizens have even painted the doors of their houses in celebration. It is as if everyone has forgotten the real reason they are coming here at all.

"Guinevere! Guinevere! Are you ready yet? They will be here at any moment!" Enid shouts, flying into my chambers.Rolling my eyes and smiling in amusement, I'm not sure who is more anxious. I had sent her to help the stewards locate more crest flags while I attempted to get into one of my finer gowns. Enid was in such a flap, she actually agreed to let me try and dress myself on such an occasion. I have just about got the thing on but I am having some difficulty with the laces at the back of the corset."Well?""Oh see for yourself. I think it's knotted" I groan, irritated with my own incompetence. 

As she begins tugging at the mess I have created, I feel a pang of nervousness. The knights and warriors of Camelot are almost at our gates and I am, of course, required dress formally to receive such honoured guests. I cannot get away with being a Princess in name only, but must also show it in appearance. We are one of the smaller kingdoms in England and by no means a centre of society. Aside from the occasional ceremony, a few celebratory feasts and court meetings, there was little need for me to act the part of Princess. And I was fine with that.  

I had always been a little unruly and willful. As an only child, I was doted upon by my father and he encouraged my curious and adventurous spirit. Maybe because it amused him, or maybe he wanted to protect me as long as possible from the burdens of responsibility. As a result, I was much happier playing in the grounds, or the nearby woodlands, with nothing but my own imagination to entertain me. I would make believe I was an explorer of faraway lands, a keeper of mythical creatures or a brave knight saving those in distress. More often than not, I would return covered in mud.

Over the last three years, since coming of age, all this has changed. My daily lessons have become more intensive and more to do with diplomacy, law, and etiquette within society. Attending meetings of the court, which is partly for Father's sake, but also good practice for when I am married. All things considered, although I have the education and skill to go with the title, I have not fully appreciated the responsibility I have to Cameliard until now. Being potentially on the brink of war, and with the arrival Camelot's King and army, it is a stark reminder of my role as Princess and the obligations that come with it.